• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Fertilizer question

So, I don't think my plants need fertilizer yet, the most developed ones are just on their third set of leaves. But I figured it's probably better to ask now than to find out later that it takes three months for the Dark Lord Cthulupep to bestow his blessing on the festering pile of leaves, unicorns, and tardy schoolchildren that need to compost out back for the plants to eat.

What's the "FertLite" method of pepper growing? I want to err on the side of caution with the ferts rather than burn the crap out of them, but I assume they'll starve if I give them only water for the rest of their life. Is there anything around the kitchen I can just toss right in a pot with them, instead of explaining to the family that I'm going to make a pile of rotting food, only on purpose this time?

If you want to go really light, you can start with just some fish emulsions and seaweed mixes... the bottles of them last a while, and you can add other nutes as needed...

Their fertilizer needs depend on the soil they're in. Commercial seed starting or potting soil mixes often have fertilizer added but other soils generally benefit from fertilizer. While we can't know what nutrients are in your soil, it's not too early to give it some by the 3rd set of leaves.

What people often do wrong is give a plant too much fertilizer, too infrequently. Give it a little at a time instead.

From the kitchen you can get coffee grounds and ground up egg shells. Generally the egg shells work best if mixed into the soil (in the new pot or ground prior to transplanting there) rather than put on top, and are faster acting if ashed over fire to break them down. Most other kitchen compost ought to be aged in a compost heap before use.

http://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Miller-09301100-Alaska-Fertilizer/dp/B000P72O2U/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1340637167&sr=1-5&keywords=alaska+fish+emulsion is the one I have used... If memory serves, it's a tablespoon or two per gallon of water, so it should last a while...

That and something along the lines of http://www.amazon.com/Maxicrop-Liquid-Seaweed-Quart/dp/B000COBUQC/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1340637276&sr=1-5&keywords=kelp+fertilizer (can't find the particular one i have)...

As Dave said though, you don't want to add it unless it needs it... and then you still may want to start off with a little less than the bottles recommend...

^ it's going to last 37 seconds or days or months. ;)

Depends on what the soil is like, how many plants, etc. It'll also last longer since you're in Canada, slower growing plants due to temperature don't need fertilizer at as high a rate.

How useful is this going to be?
fert.jpg

Impulse bought it because it was cheap, what do you guys think? Or is there more relevant information to be had than just the front of the box?

Any fertilizer will help but wouldn't you rather increase the overall condition of the soil and the food web in the soil?
As you may or may not know there are many organic converts here on THP ;)

Something like this?

Seems pricy, how long would something like that last?

Way overpriced! Get some Alaska Brand fish emulsion at Home Depot or Lowes.
1 gallon is $13 and lasts a long time. It does smell a little though so be warned. The cats and dogs want to lick the runoff. ;)

I know folks here lean towards organic ferts, but I use 100% controlled release granular ferts on my plants with no problems. YMMV. Dynamite is the retail brand of Nutricote/Florikote fertilizer which was developed for fertilizing rice paddis initially. I was lucky enough to be one of the initial nursery field testers of this during trials in the 1990's. It is a extensively tested and safe product that will not burn your plants if used correctly.

FYI I'm not selling this stuff, but I have used it on production ornamental crops since the early 1990's.

I know folks here lean towards organic ferts, but I use 100% controlled release granular ferts on my plants with no problems. YMMV. Dynamite is the retail brand of Nutricote/Florikote fertilizer which was developed for fertilizing rice paddis initially. I was lucky enough to be one of the initial nursery field testers of this during trials in the 1990's. It is a extensively tested and safe product that will not burn your plants if used correctly.

FYI I'm not selling this stuff, but I have used it on production ornamental crops since the early 1990's.

+1

Synthetics have made container growing easier and more productive for me.

Back