• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Fertilizer injector

SadisticPeppers

Business Member
Yesterday, I mentioned in my Glog I got a fertilizer injector, and it comes with settings so that I can get my plants fertilized with either liquid ferts or water soluble dry fertilizers.

In addition to the liquid worm castings I have used for a while now, I have a 5 gallon bucket of King Neptune's Organic Seaweed/Fish Emulsion 2-3-1 (link), and it highly recommends diluting it by around 128:1. I can vouch that it's some pretty powerful stuff, as 1 fluid ounce of it undiluted was enough to kill one of my plants with too many ferts.

That being said, the injector has settings to allow for 1,000:1 mix, all the way to 100:1 mix. So should I stick with the recommended setting, and do 100:1, or should I switch it up to around 250:1 and feed twice as often with it? Anyone have experience with it, and know the best ratio to feed it to my plants?

Update: I was looking some more online and the specs I quoted earlier were with a hose & bib connector, whereas I got mine with an in-line injector, meaning the fastest it'll introduce the nutrients is at about 400:1, so I'm guessing that kinda answers my own question, as anything more than that would probably be too diluted for the seaweed/fish emulsion.

The one I ordered is called the EZ Flo Injector. I ordered it from http://www.irrigationdirect.com. I got the one with the 0.75 gallon reservoir, since right now, I don't need to be able to store lots of ferts for my plants. That may change as I expand :)

Yup! I'm trying to figure some things out right now regarding my fertilizer, since it looks like the seaweed/fish emulsion doesn't have a traceable amount of most minerals, so chances are, I'll need to get some CalMag eventually, as well as putting some Epsom Salt in the reservoir, since bone meal isn't water soluble.

Edit: Took me long enough, but I found some PDF's that showed the stuff I have actually does have mineral content after all, so I don't need to add much of anything to it, if at all. And with the 400:1 mix, you're right, 5 gallons should last quite a while, especially since the directions say it only need to be applied every two weeks.

elcap1999 said:
Yup! I'm trying to figure some things out right now regarding my fertilizer, since it looks like the seaweed/fish emulsion doesn't have a traceable amount of most minerals, so chances are, I'll need to get some CalMag eventually, as well as putting some Epsom Salt in the reservoir, since bone meal isn't water soluble.

Edit: Took me long enough, but I found some PDF's that showed the stuff I have actually does have mineral content after all, so I don't need to add much of anything to it, if at all. And with the 400:1 mix, you're right, 5 gallons should last quite a while, especially since the directions say it only need to be applied every two weeks.
I was wondering that. I couldn't find mineral content as well. That's good to know. Using liquid Cal as well. I am following your glog. Let us know how your plants like the Neptune. I might try something different as soon as my AgeOld is gone.

Back