• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fert question

I have mg 2-7-7,mg 18-18-21 and mg 24-8-16
my seedlings are currently getting slightly yellow not much but a little and i was wondering which of these 3 ferts would be best for foliar feeding? you can see them here http://www.thehotpep...ters-2012-glog/and also how much should i use and how often can i foliar feed safely

if all you want to do is green them up, give them a half strength of the 24-8-16...

as they age, you can switch to the 18-18-21...that's the tomato food, right?...after plantout, that's what my plants get through the fertigation system...

if all you want to do is green them up, give them a half strength of the 24-8-16...

as they age, you can switch to the 18-18-21...that's the tomato food, right?...after plantout, that's what my plants get through the fertigation system...

Agree

I use mg 24-8-16 in veg and 18-18-21 in the flowering fruiting stage. I use another hydroponic fertilizer as well but I have so much mg and it has good micro nutrients in it.

yea they are about 3 weeks old.so i wanted to be safe with the little guys.do you recommend foliar feeding or just normal feeding.

Greg (Pic1) and others foliar feed...I don't

From what I understand, and this is my second season... But I read everything I can get my hands on.... Foliar feeding is for plants that have no roots, and can't get nutrition otherwise... foliar feeding is nearly useless outside of that situation - and carries with it the possibility of getting fungus started on your leaves if there is not enough ventilation.

fwiw

Foliar feeding works quite well. It has been suggested that plants get the nutes quicker via the leaves but they cannot carry the amount that roots can.

What plants don't have roots by the way? Other than those "air" plants?

Here is a link to a small, simple experiment a guy did back in '05 with 10 tomato plants. http://www.google.co...1J8WK8g&cad=rja

From what I understand, and this is my second season... But I read everything I can get my hands on.... Foliar feeding is for plants that have no roots, and can't get nutrition otherwise... foliar feeding is nearly useless outside of that situation - and carries with it the possibility of getting fungus started on your leaves if there is not enough ventilation.

fwiw

Yes a big reason why I do not foliar fertilize. However, understanding that all plant life originated from aquatic plants millions of years ago. Another thing is that Urea nitrogen is instantly uptaken by plants through their leaves, why do you think it is on the box of miracle gro to foliare feed?

understanding that all plant life originated from aquatic plants millions of years ago.
A pair of un-proven and un-proveable points... But I digress.

Miracle Grow is owned by Monsanto no?

Not a huge fan of Monsanto my self... So I wouldn't know what was on the box per se.

All I know is that there are two main groups when it comes to foliar feeding, those that swear its the best thing since sliced bread, and those that swear it will ruin your plants, cause dutch elm disease, and your laptop to catch on fire (ok, well one of those things any way).

I tend to err on the side of caution being as I live in an already humid tropical local. No point for me to tempt fate, when I can get the fert to the plant in other ways.

A pair of un-proven and un-proveable points... But I digress.

Miracle Grow is owned by Monsanto no?

Not a huge fan of Monsanto my self... So I wouldn't know what was on the box per se.

All I know is that there are two main groups when it comes to foliar feeding, those that swear its the best thing since sliced bread, and those that swear it will ruin your plants, cause dutch elm disease, and your laptop to catch on fire (ok, well one of those things any way).

I tend to err on the side of caution being as I live in an already humid tropical local. No point for me to tempt fate, when I can get the fert to the plant in other ways.

Agree. Nutrition should be directed at the roots, not the leaves.

Back