• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Fermenting foods info

Yes,
I love kimchee and like being able to tweak the recipe to my tastes. I couldn't get the above link to work ????

here's a good basic recipe,
http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/an-intro-into-fermentation-how-to-make-kimchi/

and another good site-
http://www.wildfermentation.com/

some say to weigh it down, others use an air lock type set up. others just cover it....it's confusing......

I usually use a salt brine, weigh it down, use a brine-filled plastic bag to seal the top, cover it with a towel and string tied if fruit flies are around, refer it after 3 days.

And here's a link to an episode on the TODAY SHOW video and recipe- if this link doesn't work, google TODAY SHOW kimchee and you'll get several hits
http://www.channelapa.com/2009/10/momofuku-kimchi-with-david-chang-on.html

This last recipe has salted shrimp and fish sauce. When I tried this recipe I couldn't find the salted shrimp so I just used the fish sauce and found it a little too fishy for my taste. Tried it again with just 1 Tbsp fish sauce and it was much better.

We used to always make and can our own sauerkraut as kids, but no one in my family now will eat the stuff, so I just buy some fresh/refrigerated kraut when I'm craving it. One time when we were camping, my mom tried to serve us some store-bought canned sauerkraut. We all spit it out and threw it in the garbage. lol

Link should work easier now
I'm actually looking for an authentic Korean winter kimchee(sour) recipe. My friend tells me stories of Koreans with holes all over their backyards with buried pots of kimchee fermenting.

The first recipe from asonomagarden is very typical for most kimchee recipes. It sounds like what you're looking for.

cabbage, carrots, daikon radish, scallions, ginger, red peppers, garlic, salt...these are in most recipes I've seen. After that, it's all up to your own taste. Some add currants, raisins, apple, all sorts of veggies...

I once helped a farmer make a LARGE batch of kimchee at the end of their growing season. We put EVERYTHING in it. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beets, cabbage, anything they had left in the field. He had to go buy a couple 20 gallon garbage cans to hold it all. I wouldn't recommend using plastic garbage cans, but it was the only thing quickly available. I talked to him the next spring and they were still eating on it. (Their farm is run as a cooperative, so they usually have 4-10 other people living on the farm and working it)

Man, all this talk of kimchee and kraut....making me hungry for some!

POTAWIE , you are one interesting fella.

Judging from your posts, you already have alot of fermenting going on in your home. (eg: kefir, bokashi and now kim chee and sauerkraut)

I have kefir brewing in my kitchen and a kim chi pot in my backyard. It was done by my mom, with daikon radish, cabbage and carrots.
I was also thinking to use dried bhut jolokia flakes for the next batch :P

I've only been researching Kim chee and suaerkraut so far. I want to grow some napa cabbage and daikon radish this summer if I can find room

kiddc said:
POTAWIE , you are one interesting fella.

Judging from your posts, you already have alot of fermenting going on in your home. (eg: kefir, bokashi and now kim chee and sauerkraut)

I have kefir brewing in my kitchen and a kim chi pot in my backyard. It was done by my mom, with daikon radish, cabbage and carrots.
I was also thinking to use dried bhut jolokia flakes for the next batch :P

What milk are you using for kefir?
I use whole milk.Goat's is very expensive.

After I am back from India, I am makin my Khimchi.
Used to hog in Seoul on every trip.

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
What milk are you using for kefir?
I use whole milk.Goat's is very expensive.

After I am back from India, I am makin my Khimchi.
Used to hog in Seoul on every trip.

i use fresh milk, i buy 2 liters and it can last week about 2 weeks.
Do you add fruits in your kefir?

I have a sudden urge to eat some ramen with loads of kimchi right now and i blame this thread for it.

kiddc said:
i use fresh milk, i buy 2 liters and it can last week about 2 weeks.
Do you add fruits in your kefir?

I have a sudden urge to eat some ramen with loads of kimchi right now and i blame this thread for it.
No. Never. I hate to spoil the taste of sparkling kefir with anything .
Some times, I add a little salt and Cumin powder. But most of the times, I take it on rocks.

I did the homemade saurkraut thing about 12 yrs ago when I was living in cleveland and was mildly involved with macrobiotcs. They have something called a salad press (available at Japanese stores) in which you place the cabbage or shredded veggies, add some sea salt or Ume vinegar and tighten the press and then let it sit for a week minimum.

I can remember helping the old Homesteader that lived nearby make her sauerkraut when I was growing up.
Since I bought her homestead 30-some years later, I figured I'd give it a shot myself. After all, I had to find something to do with all the red cabbage the slugs wouldn't eat.
This was a test with just one head to see if the waterbag would work-
10729_168833461534_522391534_4173817_7886071_n.jpg

Since it did (I was concerned with pushing it through the narrower neck of the large jar) I went ahead and shredded 4 heads in total. I ended up with a dozen pints. I just used kosher salt and added a few ground up Bolivian Rainbows and Bird's Eyes and Cayennes. What was cool was, as I was laying the cabbage/salt in the jug, you could see the water drawn out of the cabbage. After I let it sit for a few hours to settle, all of the solids settled down and I put the bag on and the lid on the jug. The jug was some sort of sun tea jug or something, and the lid is just glass on glass. It turned out great, though like most folks I'm the only one in the house that will eat it, so I ended up giving all but a few pints away. This year I'm going to plant a ton of napa cabbage in teh garden to try my hand at kimchi.

You can see the album on my facebook-
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=158489&id=522391534
If you can't access that, let me know and I'll post the pics up here for you. If you like sauerkraut, you'll love making it yourself!

Back