• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Fermented sauce Results

I have starteda pepper mash a couple months ago. I like where it is so I am ready to sauce it. My Question is when I put it in a pot to cook it do I put all the liquid in or just the veggies?

I am not yet but that is what it says in the Fermenting101 thread.

From Fermenting Peppers 101
It is now time to make some sauce. Pour all of the contents from the fermentation jar into a big pot and bring it to a boil for 30 minutes. Very carefully then run them through a Blender in batches until is smooth then back into the pot. Bring it to a boil again adding some water if it is too thick for another 20 minutes. Then run the entire batch through the blender again. Now you should have a very smooth sauce. Return the sauce to the pot and heat to 195 degrees F for 15 minutes then carefully funnel into the bottles. Add a reducer and a cap and place it upside down for another 15 minutes to allow the caps to sterilize.

Now that I read what I coppied I see that it says all contents. I guess I need to read slower

You don't need to hot bottle unless you want to store it on a shelf.

To make a sauce from the mash you can just mix it with some vinegar, bam, sauce. For a smooth texture, puree.

Well here is my first fermented hotsauce. It is actually my first sauce ever.

Ingredients are Orange Habaneros, Carrots, Onion, Sweet peppers, and lots of Garlic
Started with Greek yogurt whey.

In the begining

Baseball082.jpg

Baseball084.jpg

I whizzed it up with this baby
FermentedHotSauce002.jpg

This thing is awesome. I have to get one for my house.

Filling the bottle that was donated by some hot sauce from the dollar store that accidentaly fell and went down the drain. RIP crap sauce
FermentedHotSauce001.jpg

And the money shot
FermentedHotSauce006.jpg

FermentedHotSauce003.jpg

Thanks for all the help. This place is awesome, and the sauce is pretty damn good too!

In the jar, that is mash? You know it is called mash because the peppers are mashed, right? That looks like chopped peppers and veg in some liquid.

Thank you.

I saw lots of pics that were mash like that but also saw plenty of diced up chunks like mine. Either way will ferment and I ended up with something that tastes good and I made it my self :party:

Now to wait till harvest time so I can do one with homegrown peppers :dance:

Okay so it's not mash it's chop (mash is mashed)... okay but what is all that liquid?? I'm not getting it. Looks like pickled veg. Or is that vinegar you added after fermentation right before blending?

LanMan, I'm still working on my first "mash" so my firsthand knowledge of fermented stuff is minescule. (well, let me rephrase that....SOME fermented products I am very knowledgable about, especially the consuming part... :lol: )

but for fermented peppers, it looks and sounds like you did it right. My first fermented whatever is still in the jars due to lack of time to take care of finishing them. Mine have other ingredients in them also and are only food processor grind size pieces. Maybe to appease The Boss we should not call it a "mash". Maybe..."fermented pepper product"... you know...kind of like those "processed yellow cheese-type food products".....

It's all good. And the above info is right on for packaging. Cook it if you want it shelf stable, otherwise refer it. :cool:

I'm just asking because I'm curious. I was just surprised to see that called mash, since mash is mashed or ground to a mash consistency peppers, even unfermented, it's mash. Has nothing to do with fermentation it's just a name for the consistency, then it is traditionally fermented. So technically there is no mash here, but whatever it is I'm glad you made a good sauce out of it!

I can see the confusion of that. Fermenting 101 uses both terminologies, so it is easy to substitute one term for the other, even thought they are not the same.

This might be another "chipotle habanero" subject. :lol:

LanMan made some fermented peppers and stuff and then mashed them with the stick blender. Or he could have blendered them at the begining to make a mash, and then he would have had a fermented mash.

Just because it's a "mash" doesn't mean it's fermented. I've heard the terms interchanged so often I wasn't making the distinction. Ongoing learning~~~~

You did good LanMan, what was your total fermentation time?

Mashed or chopped, either way it still ferments and turns into sauce. I can see where the boss wants to keep the terms straight to prevent confusion for new fermenters.

Left raw the way you did you preserve the macrobiotics of the sauce and make it a more healthful sauce. I cook mine as the boss says to give it more shelf life as I’m usually making about a gallon at a time but also I like the consistency that I get after cooking the sauce. There are also many that don’t care for the “raw” flavor of an uncooked sauce. It’s all good, just comes down to what your preferences are.

Keep the sauce flowin!
:cool: RM

Edit: I added a paragraph to the Fermentation 101 with regards to mash versus chopped. I got to thinking about the differences and using chopped ingredients would require a longer fermentation to allow the bacteria sufficient time to process all the sugars. So it's a good addition. Thanks

Back