• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite Poblano/Ancho type variety? & discussion

Any Poblano growers out there that can recommend a good red maturing variety, or even just discuss the pepper? I've been spending years trying to improve a poor variety and I've finally given up and am hoping to start again with something more productive and hopefully with large pods. I really need something good for Rellenos, roasting, and for powders if possible.
Do many of you use Poblanos a lot? They now seem to be one of the most used peppers in my household when I have them

I'm growing one from a market,The pod was over 10" and red.I have 2 plants with pods on now but it's pretty slow going this time of year.
I'll be glad to share seeds if it ends up decent.
Poblanos are great stuffed,dried,and really shine in a stew of some sort.I used them recently cooking down my smoked Turkey carcass,added some Hominy and other things and the flavor was unbeleivable!

I grew the Ancho San Luis this year and was disappointed until the end of the season...here is a pic of a few I picked two weeks ago today...

121609a001.jpg

i've had the pablano from burpee for a few seasons now ( only pepper i grew this year basically ) and whatever about burpee but when ripened, dried, consumed sweet flavorful awesome, the base to any chili powder/paprika i make. pablano brotherhood 4 life....

I've got about 20-25 like the red ones in the pic...plan to dehydrate them then vacuum pack them probably 3-4 peppers a package...

I use poblanos and anaheims for my base chili powder and I figure vacuum sealing will elimnate loss of flavor over time.....theoretically anyway...

I've grown the reds and the browns,love both but kind of lean towards the Negros.All are excellent powdered of course and are my base for my house BBQ Rub.(along with 20 or so other highly classified ingredients).Unfortunately They only produce here in cooler times of the year(low humidity)I usually have a hard time getting them to jumbo sizes.Luckily for us they are available in markets year round.One of my top 5 pods for sure!

Back