• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite mild to medium peppers +sweet

Next year I'm planning on not growing too many super-hotties or new trendy types and focusing on Chiles that have mild to medium heat and good flavor. I have about 20 types already but would like to know what everyone's favorites and best producers are. Let's say anything around jalapeno or fresno heat or milder but not bell peppers. Also does anyone have a favorite numex or Anaheim type. I like the big chile but its a hybrid, and I never really liked the strain of BigJim that I grew, the same goes for my Chimayo:(

Siam #1 in that department although some get hot too...they seem to cover a big range of heat across a season. Big pods, thick flesh & a really nice light fruity flavor.
Depends where you're drawing the line though...are you talking serranos being the top of the scale?

I love the Pepperocinis I am growing...great producers and never see the sunshine...I have already harvested probably 200 peppers off 4 plants and they are loaded again...next year, I am going to grow the golden greeks I have been hearing about...I am also growing a Serrano del Sol that is a serrano with about a jalapeno heat...again lots of pods and good taste but it is a hybrid too...

Champion! They do not only lo great but are a must-grow if you want aroma. They taste great and have little to no heat. (differs!)

golden greek Pepperocinis loads have said what a great pepper it is..so onto next year..Aji Crystal is superb..with just about the right amount of heat and taste :)

I guess I'll list what I have planned already. I've grown all these before too.

golgen Greek pepperocinis
chupetinha(mild version)
aji dulce#1
topepo
Merida pumpkin
Jimmy Nardello
Sweet bite
poblano negro
crimson hot
Anaheim(some red type)
Numex sunset
bishop's crown
Tobago seasoning*(need milder type)
cachuca or Pasilla Bajio
cascabel
guajillo
pimento L
Chimayo*(need new strain)
jalapeno*(not sure yet which types)
serrano
Fresno
D'espelette

New ones I'm thinking about so far are:
Champion(thanks to Chiliac)
Super Shepherd
Mariachi(I grew them before)
Cubanelle
sweet cherry
and any mild C. chinense

POTAWIE said:
Next year I'm planning on not growing too many super-hotties or new trendy types and focusing on Chiles that have mild to medium heat and good flavor. I have about 20 types already but would like to know what everyone's favorites and best producers are. Let's say anything around jalapeno or fresno heat or milder but not bell peppers. Also does anyone have a favorite numex or Anaheim type. I like the big chile but its a hybrid, and I never really liked the strain of BigJim that I grew, the same goes for my Chimayo:(

i have a few aji duce #2 if you want to try some
pm me :)

I really enjoyed the taste of the St Martins Seasoning peppers I grew last, excellent flavour & the heat level is easily tolerable for new comers coming to grips with the awesome flavours of the Chinensees :onfire:

Here you Mention this before chris..Tempted

SPANISH SPICE

Species: Annuum Origin: Unknown Heat: Mild

A hybridised F1 Anaheim type variety. These 7 inch long tapered peppers have a spicy Mediterranean flavor that is neither hot nor sweet. They look something like a wrinkled Anaheim chile and are great for grilling or frying because their thin walls cook quickly. 63 to 68 days.

Anaheim type to :rolleyes:
Available here..Near page bottom..
http://www.semencesdusoleil.com/peppers.html

Another link same seller..Intresting Varities to Anybody used this seller before?

http://freespace.virgin.net/ani.design/Peppers.htm

Again.....many of mine are from a local "heirloom" grower.......more like "makes up names" grower.

The Frank's hot/sweet I have grown the last 2 years are incredible. They look like tomatoes (except for the stem). They have the thickest walls I have ever seen. Sooooooooo freaking sweet. They have some definite heat, but I consider them in the sweet category.

agree with you on the Franks Hot Sweet Cheezy...very thick walled peppers with a little heat that make stuffing really easy...I stuffed about 2 dozen two weekend ago for some buddies out at the hunting lease (read ranch) and they were wonderful...

POTAWIE said:
My aji dulce #2's were quite hot, so likely a cross. Maybe I'll try another strain. How do they taste?

not sure yet only now starting to flower
if they are mild ill send some seeds over to you

Back