• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Fast acting Gypsum or Lime Pellets? Trying to solve my BER problem for next year

Codeman said:

How would that matter with calcium? my soil mix dries out in 2 days and they wilt. so i am gonna water everyday.

Anaerobic soil reduces the influx of calcium and causes efflux 
Note that anaerobic soil is not the same as overwatering, however the latter can cause the former

Perhaps you can try repotting one of the plants in a mix with 40% perlite

Powelly said:

Anaerobic soil reduces the influx of calcium and causes efflux 
Note that anaerobic soil is not the same as overwatering, however the latter can cause the former

Perhaps you can try repotting one of the plants in a mix with 40% perlite

And you're talking about my coolapeno pepper plant right? or my mexibelle pepper plant?

Either of them, if you're supplying calcium and getting calcium deficiency symptoms then this is the logical conclusion
Plentiful oxygen is required in the root zone for calcium uptake

Powelly said:
Either of them, if you're supplying calcium and getting calcium deficiency symptoms then this is the logical conclusion

I understand now. You said 40% Perlite. How many cups is that?

Powelly said:

But the soil doesn't smell bad though.

Powelly said:
How big is the containe

tD8Om2Qm.jpg

That's how big the containers are. I am talking about the Red one and not the green one. The red container is all the same size containers i am growing my peppers in. Now, I put 4 cups perlite in when i did my mix. Now this is what the guy told me how many cups.

Powelly said:
Is it though? These guidlines from the University of Georgia (UGA) do not even talk about it (do you have a source?). Instead they list the following three culprits:
  1. Insufficient fertilization with calcium (could probably add wrong soil pH here as well, but it's unlikely)
  2. Too much nitrogen/potassium fertilization since these compete with calcium uptake
  3. Irregular irrigation (causes varying transports of calcium through xylem instead of continuous)
Codeman said:

Kinda confused now about that math thing.. That picture i posted for you. he told me 4 cups of perlite. Do you think i needed to up it up more?
Come on, you can google conversions and math nowadays! 4 cups = 0.25 gallons. This would be 1.6 / 0.25 = 6.4 times lower(!) than Powelly suggested. Instead he suggests 1.6 gallons = 25.6 cups of perlite.

SwedishGhost said:
Is it though? These guidlines from the University of Georgia (UGA) do not even talk about it (do you have a source?). Instead they list the following three culprits:
  1. Insufficient fertilization with calcium (could probably add wrong soil pH here as well, but it's unlikely)
  2. Too much nitrogen/potassium fertilization since these compete with calcium uptake
  3. Irregular irrigation (causes varying transports of calcium through xylem instead of continuous)
Come on, you can google conversions and math nowadays! 4 cups = 0.25 gallons. This would be 1.6 / 0.25 = 6.4 times lower(!) than Powelly suggested. Instead he suggests 1.6 gallons = 25.6 cups of perlite.

Hi SG
I will cite this tomorrow for you

Thats way too much perlite for me. Not going out to buy anymore perlite this year. thats like 2 bags of miracle gro perlite.

SwedishGhost said:

I think he was quoting the guy that gave me the math problem with the propane since he didn't straight up tell me how many cups of perlite i would need.

ShowMeDaSauce said:

That would be incorrect since you did not know the size of my tank. That is the point i was making. My tank is 27 gallons. The percentage of a unknown volume would still be unknown.

ah ok. now i see. but from the red container that i posted do you think 4 cups of perlite would be enough?

That appears to be a 3 gallon pot to me but im not really sure. That is also assuming its full of growing media. I really don't use much perlite unless using coco coir based mixes.

1 quart of perlite though seems like very little for a 3 gallon pot without any perlite already added. My best guess is around 4 quarts total.

Back