• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Fantastic fertilizer?

That is safe enough for humans to drink! I had three very, very sickly peppers in a tray. They appeared to be pretty much dead, though one had a pinpoint of green left. With nothing to lose, I concocted a fertilizer and added a between a half to a full teaspoon per plant (they are in about 1 cubic inch of dirt). Two days later, one of them has two nice green leaves and the other two seem to be pulling out of it.

The ingredients: tap water, A to Z multiple vitamins and Echinacea with Vitamin C. Everything was heated in the microwave and allowed to cool to room temperature before adding.

I'll be keeping an eye on these.

Mike

Awesome!!!
I've done this once before many years ago while experimenting and from what I recall I had decent success, but it's been so long and I didn't record anything, but I think there was a reason I didn't continue doing this. I don't know if there was other problems that came up or not but I'll be interested in hearing your plants progress! Make a blog and keep it updated with pics if you can!

interesting. i know when you start orchid from seed you crush up a b vitamin and mix it in the media but you also add plant food...
i'm experimenting with herbal tea and green tea as fertilizer right now.

I do the same thing with Solgar Total Minerals except that I grind it up with some eggshells for calcium and add it to the soil before transplanting seedlings...I have always had really good results, very healthy plants.

Green Tea sounds interesting

GrumpyBear said:
interesting. i know when you start orchid from seed you crush up a b vitamin and mix it in the media but you also add plant food...

That sounds interesting. What is it in the green tea that the plants like? How much do you use in how much water and how often do you feed it to your plants?

tori said:
That sounds interesting. What is it in the green tea that the plants like? How much do you use in how much water and how often do you feed it to your plants?

Yes, that seems interesting ! I have lots of green tea :)

I have heard about that before, but this is the first time I am hearing from someone who has actually used it. (vitamins not tea!)

Good to see it's actually true. May try it at some point, but atm my plants are okay the way they are.

GrumpyBear said:
I've used leftover tea leaves as fertilizer for years. Specifically full leave black tea as it's my tea of choice. It never occurred to me to use tea itself as a fertilizer. I have a TON of leftover tea. Has anyone experimented more with feeding with tea? black OR green tea??

If this has any legs, i'll go home and whip me up a few gallons of tea tonight.

I made a big heaping pot of green tea and have diluted it and used it in my garden. We'll see if it yields any good results sometime tomorrow. I did all of this early yesterday with my regular watering. Used the leftover leaves as well. I got my fingers crossed. ;)

I LOOOOOVE coffee black and strong as hell and we all know coffee grounds are good as organic stuff. However, I rarely drink coffee even though when I drink it I drink black with no sugar or cream.(Like I drank it in the army.) However, I do drink tea pretty regularly at work now. I'll save my tea bag innards and put it in my plant pots. It can't hurt.:)

Back