Fall Starts In Split Season Hot Climes?

Does anyone here plant out a second time in very hot climates?

If so, what is your method for starts and hardening off in the brutal heat in order to get a Fall crop?

Is it worth it?

I'm strongly considering a small Fall batch this year, as my cat ate all my Spring starts. I have a few staples to get me through the Summer with snacking and food spicing, but I'm itching for some of my favorites and wondering if it's worth it.

TIA.

I do a fall batch every year . I start them in my porch around July( only get about 4 or 5 hours of indirect late day sun .)  Come September they are ready for full sun . Usually by November I have a nice harvest . 

romy6 said:
 I do a fall batch every year . I start them in my porch around July( only get about 4 or 5 hours of indirect late day sun .)  Come September they are ready for full sun . Usually by November I have a nice harvest . 

Thanks, Jamie. Really appreciate it.

If our Fall/Winter starts out mild, that's *exactly* when I get another big fat harvest. Right around Thanksgiving. Didn't work out last year, but I'm hoping this year is luckier.

One more question for you...How hot is it in July/August where you are in Florida? I'm afraid my starts may not be able to handle our mid-Summer temps outdoors. But I could be wrong if I keep them out of direct sun and well hydrated.

It really depends upon what you want to grow. I grew up in the Houston area, and know lots of people started Fall crops. I never grew peppers back then, but it's basically the same idea - start with when you want to harvest, then count back from there based on the plant's days-to-harvest time. Annuums will clearly work, some others, as well. Consider growing in pots so if the weather dips too low you can bring them inside.

I don't have enough time before first frost to do a fall batch of peppers but have to do spring and fall batches of other things like herbs in order to get good yield before they bolt and go to seed which summer temperatures (anything above 80F for a few days) cause.

As for the heat in Austin, make sure they're large enough to have a good root system established before hardening them off gradually outside.  Set them where they are shaded in the afternoon.  If planting in the ground where there isn't afternoon shade then a row of okra right next to, to the west of them can provide that, as well as okra.  :)  I mention okra specifically because it grows faster and taller than many crops, and is fairly heat  resistant so long as the ground doesn't get bone dry, but it will grow a lot faster with watering.

As for the cat eating them, try spraying some hot pepper juice (make a basic strained hot sauce without any vinegar or salt, just peppers and water) on the plants.

+1 for okra, because...okra.

You can also set up some framing for shade cloth and start using it in June. 2-4 PM is the toughest part of the day, so if there is part shade using cloth or some taller plants you should be good. Go really heavy on the mulch to give your roots a nice cool temperature and also maintain soil moisture through the heat of the day. 

Dave2000 said:
As for the cat eating them, try spraying some hot pepper juice (make a basic strained hot sauce without any vinegar or salt, just peppers and water) on the plants.

We have this cat because his mother died from eating rat poison. If it's poisonous, horrible, or distasteful, then he's going to eat it, consequences be damned. My fault for keeping the plants at ground level and leaving the door open. :(

PepperWhisperer said:
You can also set up some framing for shade cloth and start using it in June. 2-4 PM is the toughest part of the day, so if there is part shade using cloth or some taller plants you should be good. Go really heavy on the mulch to give your roots a nice cool temperature and also maintain soil moisture through the heat of the day. 

Wait. Are we talking about full grown plants here? Or are you saying to direct seed and then mulch those containers?

I just started some extra seeds a few days ago...Virginia is hit and miss with later season growing.  Typically it doesn't usually start freezing at night until early November but the weather here is so ADD that you never know.  One year it snowed on my birthday in October and was 70ºF for the next two weeks, go figure.  Usually our "second" crops are tomatoes as long as we can keep the young plants irrigated in July/August.

Eephus Man said:

Thanks, Jamie. Really appreciate it.

If our Fall/Winter starts out mild, that's *exactly* when I get another big fat harvest. Right around Thanksgiving. Didn't work out last year, but I'm hoping this year is luckier.

One more question for you...How hot is it in July/August where you are in Florida? I'm afraid my starts may not be able to handle our mid-Summer temps outdoors. But I could be wrong if I keep them out of direct sun and well hydrated.

It is very unpleasant come July ,August and even September. Temps are in the mid 90's with 110% humidity. If it was not for my porch the young plants would not stand a chance. It really works out well for me because the way the sun moves deeper into the summer I get less direct Sun later in the season. I start the babies (seedlings) deeper in the porch and gradually move them closer to the edge, I have the fastest germ rates ever when I start them mid summer . 

romy6 said:

It is very unpleasant come July ,August and even September. Temps are in the mid 90's with 110% humidity. If it was not for my porch the young plants would not stand a chance. It really works out well for me because the way the sun moves deeper into the summer I get less direct Sun later in the season. I start the babies (seedlings) deeper in the porch and gradually move them closer to the edge, I have the fastest germ rates ever when I start them mid summer . 

Thanks again. I may give it a try, but start them a touch earlier. Our ambients are 5-10F higher than yours, with generally much lower humidity, which makes for some crispy lil' critters. I'm going to try and find a safe place with some early morning sun and mottled shade/full shade after the Noon hour, roughly.

We'll see... :)

He's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for it! You are far enough south to do it. Might even think of buying a few seedlings to give you a head start right?

Wait. Are we talking about full grown plants here? Or are you saying to direct seed and then mulch those containers?
I just assumed you were growing in ground. Mulch still works in containers, but I don't think many people bother since they are controlling the water application more closely.

Back