• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Fabric container mix

So, whats the deal with fabric pot mix compared to plastic container mix..?
 Excuse me for being a little behind the times here, just read every page of the 2010 fabric container thread,,, eventually I'll get it with all the help around here. Just want to verify a few things with the current guys in the know...

Got 24 _5gal (that are really 4.3gal..?) black fabrics on the way here. Read that fabric pots tip over and need to be staked unless you change the mix to a less airy light mix and go for a heavy mix. Will less perilite and more worm castings do the trick, or do I need some heavy compost..?

Hate to change from the solid' light airy mix that my plants just thrive in down here. Have changed all my plants over to that light mix and almost immediately could see how well they accepted a watering, how green they got, how fast new growth exploded. The plants seem to be more upright, the bottom leafs don't 'sag anymore. Just all around happier plants... Will the needed heavy fabric container mix put me back to 'compacted/hydrophobic soil root problems' here in S Florida..? or are there other tricks to help stability..? Or is there no truth to it and stability is not an issue so stay with the light mix.

Hope these fabrics pots are good..? they're cheap on amazon.

Attachments

• SL1000_.jpg
    SL1000_.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 103
They are great! Lots of people in the southland won't use anything else. Me included. Haven't changed the potting mix either. Enjoy them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Things are a bit slow around here and I don't have any experience with bags but I'll chime in on a few points. First is the thread that led to your dilemma, can you pot a link?

From the jist of your post the thread recommends a heavier mix for stability? But you're currently using a lightweight mix?

My input at this juncture is....... With the fantastic success you've had I'd think about another way to stabilize? Tomato cage pushed in the ground? 

Complete newbie here but I'll tell my experience so far with the fabric pots.

I also purchased the black 5 gallon fabric pots but 2 different brands than what you show.  I was let down by the size as compared to a 5 gallon bucket so I called one of the companies customer service and they assured me that the container would hold 5 gallons of soil.  They said a 5 gallon bucket actually holds more than 5 gallons.  I have not verified this but I decided to go with them anyway.  

I haven't had any stability issues with them at all.  I am using 4 ft. bamboo stakes in them to tie the plants to.  The taller of my "crop" are the Aji Mango, Shishito's and Fushimi peppers.  The Aji Mango is probably close to 3 1/2 ft tall above the soil.  

We just had a bad thunderstorm roll through with straight line winds hitting 60+ mph that snapped off tall oak trees and the top out of my huge maple!  
The peppers never turned over or sustained any damage.  I have to admit that during the storm I had given up on my taller plants but afterwards I was amazed.

My soil mix is fairly light.  I even added more perlite to it.  

The downside is that you have to keep an eye on them for moisture content.  If it doesn't rain for a few days and it is hot out they dry up pretty quick.  

I sometime wonder if going with the tan color would have been wiser.  It has been in the upper 80's/low to mid 90's here with Florida like humidity and I know the roots have to be smoldering!

Anyway, just my experience so far.

I'm no expert, but if your plants love your current mix, why change it to fix a problem it's not causing?  Your problem isn't with the soil, it's with the container.  Can you make some sort of "trellis" to stabilize your pots?  Maybe use the pots to stabilize each other, then just stabilize the ends?  Do your plants require any type of support?  Maybe alter that support to provide stability for the pot, too?  Just batting around some ideas......  

P.S.  I'm in South Central Pennsylvania and using fabric pots.  Take a look:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71235-nans-trying-it-again-2019-veggie-garden/

I tried some this year. (5) 16 gallon Gardenmate and (5) 5 gallon Vivosun black fabric pots. They work great. I used my normal potting mix and set the pots in tubs. The plants are all happy. No support or bracing is necessary so far. Don't see any need until we have a hurricane.

This is an OW TS Cardi Red in a 16 gallon pot. I didn't pot it up until nearly June.

1O293mD.jpg

Fabric pots are good, but when you are dealing with any plant container, the whole "gallon" thing is a bit of misnomer.  This word has become accepted nomenclature, but the truth is, none of them are what they say they are, and most all companies who make them, make different sizing.  It's definitely not standardized.
It shouldn't actually be a "5 gallon" container.  If it were named according to the standard, it would be a "#5".  If you ever look at the plastic jobs, if they say anything at all, it's usually the number standard.
I've spent more time than I ever care to think about, looking at different nursery pots, making stacks of the ones that fit together, and stacking the "same" size, that won't fit on the "other same size" container.  Because I'm ever the cynic and skeptic, I went down this rabbit hole long ago, and got the real story.
Now, everything is just marketed as something-or-rather "gallon" containers.  Meh.  :neutral:

Reactions: DWB
Typically, I used to like to use the bigger containers - the "10 gallon" size.  We have a lot longer growing season, as you know, and plants can get huge.  Even those aren't big enough.  Now everything that I have is either in raised beds, or 55 gallon barrel SIPs.  But, when I had the grow bags, and the plants got big, I actually used to just run a stake all the way through the bottom of the container, into the ground.  Then, I would attach the main stem to the stake.  And that's pretty much all there is to that.  Mind you, I also had my plants sitting on the heavy nursery cloth, and I put a thick layer of pine bark down.  This helped me keep the ground cool, instead of using the black cloth as a solarizing sheet.  It also helped keep me from having to pull weeds or mow.  Line trimmers won't do cloth bags any favors.

Chewi said:
They are great! Lots of people in the southland won't use anything else. Me included. Haven't changed the potting mix either. Enjoy them!

Thanks for the info, good to know...

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Things are a bit slow around here and I don't have any experience with bags but I'll chime in on a few points. First is the thread that led to your dilemma, can you pot a link?

From the jist of your post the thread recommends a heavier mix for stability? But you're currently using a lightweight mix?

My input at this juncture is....... With the fantastic success you've had I'd think about another way to stabilize? Tomato cage pushed in the ground?
Well couldn't find that old thread again..? but here is another one that is on the same lines... Ya I agree, unless a different mix is just as good in the breathing fabric pots and adds needed(?) stability..?
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69929-fabric-potsgrow-bags/?hl=seamstress#entry1586834

Tybo said:
Complete newbie here but I'll tell my experience so far with the fabric pots.

I also purchased the black 5 gallon fabric pots but 2 different brands than what you show. I was let down by the size as compared to a 5 gallon bucket so I called one of the companies customer service and they assured me that the container would hold 5 gallons of soil. They said a 5 gallon bucket actually holds more than 5 gallons. I have not verified this but I decided to go with them anyway.

I haven't had any stability issues with them at all. I am using 4 ft. bamboo stakes in them to tie the plants to. The taller of my "crop" are the Aji Mango, Shishito's and Fushimi peppers. The Aji Mango is probably close to 3 1/2 ft tall above the soil.

We just had a bad thunderstorm roll through with straight line winds hitting 60+ mph that snapped off tall oak trees and the top out of my huge maple!
The peppers never turned over or sustained any damage. I have to admit that during the storm I had given up on my taller plants but afterwards I was amazed.

My soil mix is fairly light. I even added more perlite to it.

The downside is that you have to keep an eye on them for moisture content. If it doesn't rain for a few days and it is hot out they dry up pretty quick.

I sometime wonder if going with the tan color would have been wiser. It has been in the upper 80's/low to mid 90's here with Florida like humidity and I know the roots have to be smoldering!

Anyway, just my experience so far.
Good to know big winds in fabric pots are not a problem as we've been known to get a big blow or 2 around here... :P

nmlarson said:
I'm no expert, but if your plants love your current mix, why change it to fix a problem it's not causing? Your problem isn't with the soil, it's with the container. Can you make some sort of "trellis" to stabilize your pots? Maybe use the pots to stabilize each other, then just stabilize the ends? Do your plants require any type of support? Maybe alter that support to provide stability for the pot, too? Just batting around some ideas......

P.S. I'm in South Central Pennsylvania and using fabric pots. Take a look: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71235-nans-trying-it-again-2019-veggie-garden/
Makes sense. What mix are you using.
I read your glog, very impressive. You've got an outstanding setup. Well done...

DWB said:
I tried some this year. (5) 16 gallon Gardenmate and (5) 5 gallon Vivosun black fabric pots. They work great. I used my normal potting mix and set the pots in tubs. The plants are all happy. No support or bracing is necessary so far. Don't see any need until we have a hurricane.

This is an OW TS Cardi Red in a 16 gallon pot. I didn't pot it up until nearly June.

Wow, that plant is taking off big time... And looks to be stable in its fabric pot....Whats nutrients in your water tray...?

Chewi said:
Hell yeah 16 gallon that thing is going to be a monster!!!!

Yup, Looks like it already is on its way to monster size...

Thanks everyone, good info...

solid7 said:
Fabric pots are good, but when you are dealing with any plant container, the whole "gallon" thing is a bit of misnomer.  This word has become accepted nomenclature, but the truth is, none of them are what they say they are, and most all companies who make them, make different sizing.  It's definitely not standardized.
It shouldn't actually be a "5 gallon" container.  If it were named according to the standard, it would be a "#5".  If you ever look at the plastic jobs, if they say anything at all, it's usually the number standard.
I've spent more time than I ever care to think about, looking at different nursery pots, making stacks of the ones that fit together, and stacking the "same" size, that won't fit on the "other same size" container.  Because I'm ever the cynic and skeptic, I went down this rabbit hole long ago, and got the real story.
Now, everything is just marketed as something-or-rather "gallon" containers.  Meh.  :neutral:
Ya, seen that #5,,, was confused since never seen 5 gallons denoted with a # sign. Then throw in that #5 doesn't = 5gal.?.   But they all seem to have the '#' in front of the number. So it makes perfect sense that the containers are just a 'number 5' container not 5 gallons. Thanks for explaining that.

solid7 said:
Typically, I used to like to use the bigger containers - the "10 gallon" size.  We have a lot longer growing season, as you know, and plants can get huge.  Even those aren't big enough.  Now everything that I have is either in raised beds, or 55 gallon barrel SIPs.  But, when I had the grow bags, and the plants got big, I actually used to just run a stake all the way through the bottom of the container, into the ground.  Then, I would attach the main stem to the stake.  And that's pretty much all there is to that.  Mind you, I also had my plants sitting on the heavy nursery cloth, and I put a thick layer of pine bark down.  This helped me keep the ground cool, instead of using the black cloth as a solarizing sheet.  It also helped keep me from having to pull weeds or mow.  Line trimmers won't do cloth bags any favors.

Trying to keep plant size down so when the big blows come its easier to move all plants not in the ground to the garage. Not sure #5 pots with 3-5 month old plants could even withstand a cat 2 storm, maybe not even a cat 1..? Whats been your experience..?

#10 pots would make plants very happy, but not me when moving time comes.

Guess it all comes down to how many pods does one need..? And how successful small pots are at keeping plants small but still healthy..?  Some of my small prolific plants in #3 pots(till they outgrow their pot) keep my frig full of peppers. Also keep my neighbors, friends, relatives with all they need from my small garden. Even been giving my excess pods to the local Mex restaurant, they love them, say they're much tastier/hotter than store bought. My early Jals are scorching hot, many say they've never tasted such hot Jals, ame with my Habs and Savina.
 Wonder if my baccatums will turn out as good, some are just getting ready to flower but seem to be in a lull like you were saying about this time of year for us in s Fl..

Any hurricane, even a Cat1 is going to destroy your plants, simple as.  I have it double bad, because I'm right next to the ocean, and I get salt sprayed.  It kills everything.  Even lost trees before.  If you don't have a plan to move your plants during storms, just kiss them goodbye, and tell them you love them.
I poke the holes in the bottom of the pot, but I also move plants to the porch during storms.  You can always find the holes in the cloth, and just run the stakes back in. (or make new ones)
Your jalapenos are hotter and tastier because they are left on the plant longer than market peppers.  You don't have to store them.  They get used right away, so you can leave them on the plant longer.  Cut open a store bought pepper, and compare the seeds to yours vs theirs, and that should give you an idea.  Also, there's absolutely no telling what variety markets get.  They are seasonal.  Some are better than others, depending on what time of year, where they were bought from, etc, etc, etc.  Of course, yours are better.  Every single time.

acs1 said:

Wow, that plant is taking off big time... And looks to be stable in its fabric pot....Whats nutrients in your water tray...?

That's just rainwater in the tub. I fed my potted plants a pint of 19.5-18-38 MasterBlend hydro food about 2½ weeks ago. That's all they had since planting.

acs1 said:

Makes sense. What mix are you using.

Here's what I'm using, I chose this one because of the silicon in it.  
http://www.sungro.com/retail-product/sunshine-mix-4/

Along with some extra perlite, worm castings and  

Marine Cuisine 10-7-7.
https://foxfarmfertilizer.com/item/marine-cuisine-dry-mix-time-release-fertilizer.html

The growing mix came highly recommended by the local hydro shop.  The soil in the raised beds was the Sunshine Mix 4 and some container growing mix I'd bought at Costco, half and half.  The fabric containers don't have any of the Costco mix, just the Sunshine 4 and some additional perlite.  I've never used that fertilizer before.  They threw in a 20 pound bag, gratis, when I bought a couple of bales of the Sunshine Mix and everything I'm growing in it seems to love it.  I ran out of the Sunshine when I planted the cukes and pole beans.  Those are growing in a Baacto container mix.

The extra perlite is saving my behind this year, I believe.  Some farmer gave my brother a HUGE bag of agricultural grade (read:  big chunks, not powder) perlite and he gave me what he didn't use....it amounted to about 4 cubic feet.  It's been so wet this year, I believe I wouldn't be in as good shape as I am without it.

nmlarson said:
The extra perlite is saving my behind this year, I believe.  Some farmer gave my brother a HUGE bag of agricultural grade (read:  big chunks, not powder) perlite and he gave me what he didn't use....it amounted to about 4 cubic feet.  It's been so wet this year, I believe I wouldn't be in as good shape as I am without it.

The chunky stuff is good for structure, but the small stuff is better for actual drainage.  You want to rinse it, to get rid of all the dust, to be sure.  But there is far more surface area per unit of smaller particles, than larger.  I usually use #4 horticultural grade perlite, which I get for about $20 for a 4 cu ft bag.  If I want more drainage than that, without the container going bone dry, I go for composted pine bark. (composted is the key word)

solid7 said:

The chunky stuff is good for structure, but the small stuff is better for actual drainage.  You want to rinse it, to get rid of all the dust, to be sure.  But there is far more surface area per unit of smaller particles, than larger.  I usually use #4 horticultural grade perlite, which I get for about $20 for a 4 cu ft bag.  If I want more drainage than that, without the container going bone dry, I go for composted pine bark. (composted is the key word)

Just a little info for those interested...
 Seems at least at Home Depot, the small bags of perlite are small size granules like small bird shot size. The Big bags are much larger size granules like buck shot size or larger...

Curious, why the recommendation to rinse off the perlite dust before use...?

acs1 said:
Curious, why the recommendation to rinse off the perlite dust before use...?

Because the whole point of building your own mix, is to optimize the amount of air space in the roots, amongst other things.  Small particles = less air space.  This is exactly why we don't use soil in our containers.

solid7 said:

Because the whole point of building your own mix, is to optimize the amount of air space in the roots, amongst other things.  Small particles = less air space.  This is exactly why we don't use soil in our containers.

Good answer, I should of known that... Was thinking it acts like a adhesive/cement and makes the mix compact easier...

I went on a whim when purchasing fabric pots this year. Bought some off of Amazon and went with the Dr Earth Vegetable Garden soil. The soil to me feels pretty light, while still having some weight to it and working well enough to both absorb moisture and let it escape if need be, if that makes any sense, lol. 

With how the weather was in the midwest with all of the rain and cooler temps, these pots definitely helped immensely. I have 8 plants in the fabric pots and 10 in the ground. The 8 in the fabric took off almost immediately, whereas the ones in the ground didn't show many signs of significant growth up until about 2 weeks ago once the temperature started getting hotter and the constant rain went away. They seem to work very well for trapping heat and for letting out moisture if you ever happen to get a ton of rain.

Since your profile says you're in Florida, I would say use your best judgement when it comes to staking them down. I personally would rather bring them inside during the major storms, but depending on how many plants you're going to have, that could be a pretty annoying thing to do. 

I use promix bx (can buy em for $20-25 around here) and compost. Only problem is promix is pretty light and your plants could tip over in heavy winds. Might want to try something heavier or mix in 1/3-1/2 compost.

Back