• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

movies Excellent movies, crappy sequels

Whatcha got?

Watching "Species" tonight - cool premise, incredible cast (Ben Kimgsley, Michael Madsen, Forest Whitacre, Alfred Molina, a still young still hot pre-plastic surgery Marg Helgenberger and conceptual art & character design by Geiger.

Well written story with solid action. Were it not limited to the early CGI special effects of the day, it could have been even better.

The sequel, and the 3rd, were both pure crap. Mediocre cast, terrible films.

(Was tempting to say Star Wars, but I didn't want to get into any fights. lol)

Highlander movies after the first. Aliens movies after 2, Terminators after 2, Matrix 2 and 3. All of these were not just bad, but made me question if I was really a fan of the first in the series.

Animal House, Blues Brothers, The Crow, Friday, Ong Bak, -- All great movies with terrible sequels. Those are just the ones that I immediately thought of...

i think it was halloween 3 that didnt even have myers in it. it was about some masks that were possed. yall remember that crap i think thats thats the crapiest sequel of all time. i mean a sequel should atleast keep with the franchise?

wait - whut? There was a sequel? Seriously?
yes sir there was. youre lucky you never heard of it.

It's not news that most sequels are crappy because they are to cash in on the $ of the first movie's success. Different writers, and they make up some story for the same characters to get together and it's often like some crappy reunion movie. "Hey what you are you doing here"? "Making this crappy movie." "Me too!" The ones that usually do not suck are ones where the scripts exist before the first film, as in a trilogy.

Carlito's Way sequel with P Diddy? Oh yeah. That was a good idea.

A better discussion is... which sequels rocked... and if possible, which were better than the original? The Godfather II?

Not trying to hijack here, but this put my mindset to high school days and music. Looking at debut albums for bands such as Boston, Foreigner, The Cars, etc. and how their follow up work, though really good, just didn't compare to their debuts...sorry!

Pearl Jam degenerated with every successive album. But back on topic Taken 2 just didn't grab me like the first. It wasn't terrible, just "Meh."

Pearl Jam degenerated with every successive album. But back on topic Taken 2 just didn't grab me like the first. It wasn't terrible, just "Meh."

Agreed. Taken 2 was just "okay".....

Now the Bourne series was pretty doggone good, with the Ultimatum being the best one in my opinion. The Legacy and the Supremacy weren't as good, but still pretty good by modern sequel standards

Back