• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Excalibur Dehydrator Break In

So as some of you have heard many times already, my (now) wife and I have also just moved into a nice new home. As a gift from my dad I got an Excalibur Dehydrator. I have not used it or done ANYTHING with it or to it yet. I would like to do some messing around with jerky and pepper powders. The pepper powders is pretty strait forward but I know NOTHING of jerky. I myself like tender kinds of jerky not the real dried out rawhide kind of stuff. So how do I get started in making delicious jerky's? Even more so with the Excalibur. Any help, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Crazy8, Thats a nice gift! I can't help you with the jerky but I advise you not to use the "vegetable" 135 degree F, setting on the pepper powders unless you do not care about the color. If you dry at 110 to 105 F your colors can remain nice and as a bonus seeds if any left in them are still viable. The downside to the lower temp is 12 to 16 hours drying time. My family can not handle the smell/ sneezing so I do mine outside on the porch overnight. High humidity days can also cause drying problems. (still mushy). I have a nine tray and I like it. Here's a pic of some 2010 powders. Behind the puree's.

Good Luck Mike

2010saucepurees002.jpg

Congrats on the new house! How are ya'll liking it so far?
Hey, I just tried sending you a pm, Crazy, and it says you cant receive any right now. I wanted to pick your brain on some hydro stuff. I have already read your thread about your experiment, but could still use a little guidance.
Is there any way that you could pm ME? Thanks a bunch!!!

Sean

I will try to PM you. As far as the house stuff goes, its going GREAT. The house is beautiful and big but wont be complete without some gardens in back. ;) Well off to PM you now.

Try this,

2 cups of worshire (no idea how to spell that)
2 cups of soy sauce
4 garlic gloves cut in half
hand full of freshly crushed pepper
Pinch of sugar
Add your super hot powders and peppers whatever you spice it up with

I like to leave it on the counter and use a whisk on it every so often for a couple hours before putting the meat in it. Marinade for 24 hours, in a gallon zip lock bag. I double incase of a leak.
Meat use a london broil with good marbling, be sure to cut against the grain. I usually cut the meat about 1/4 inch, hope you have a nice sharp kitchen knife. Usually takes 12/16 hours to finish dehydrating.

Its "worcestershire" I dont know how to spell it either...but I knew what you meant and googled it...lol

Thanks a lot for your help I will make note of this.

Back