• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic Evaporation Hydroponics?

Just had an idea, that you could make a hydroponics set up without using pumps. If you let the bin sit outside on a hot day, the water in it, along with the nutrients, would be able to evaporate up and onto the plant roots. Maybe. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this before or if it would even work. There wouldnt really be a cycle between flooding and dehydrating, unless it was cold enough where it wouldnt be evaporating. So I was just wondering, would it work? If it did, itd be a hell of a lot cheaper than a nice hydro set up.

That would require the plant roots to be in a position to get very hot and not likely that nutrients would evaporate with the water.

Hydro doesn't have to be expensive. You can use soaker hose instead of air stones and pick up a 600 gph pump for $40. If you don't have an expensive meter you can use pH strips to check the acidity (the kind they sell at pool supply stores is better).

Mike

You can also skip the expensive hydro nutes and use a few different cheaper ones to try and maximize minor nutrients.

Millworksmans first post is correct. Water evaporates and the nutrient salts will not.

Diy Hydro is as cheap as you like. DWC seems to be the cheapest as its just an air pump, air line, air stone, container and nutrients.

Well if the nutes dont evaporate, scratch that idea lol. I figured it would just be a different, and kinda weird variation on something cool lol. oh well. Im thinking about making a bubbler, cuz from what ive read theyr really cheap. where should I go to get a bucket though? and how big should it be? also, how strong should the air pump be?

You can get a 5 gallon bucket from lowes or home depot for like 2.28 or something like that. Air pump needs to be able to pump down far enough, they are labeled in heights, just read the package. Find out what bucket you are going to use and measure it to find out how strong of an air pump you need.

Be very weary of HD or Lowes buckets. They make them out of any garbage they can find. I get my buckets from bakeries. they're food safe materials. Ask your local grocery store or warehouse club. Costco has always been great at saving them for me.

Back