• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Epsom Salts - Why?

I've grown peppers for a number of years, but have only been a member of THP for about a yr. I've seen epsom salts mentioned quite often and am wondering why and how I should be using it?

Thanks,

Buck

I've grown peppers for a number of years, but have only been a member of THP for about a yr. I've seen epsom salts mentioned quite often and am wondering why and how I should be using it?

Thanks,

Buck
Buck,
It gives a quick 'shot in the arm' of Magnesium to your Pepper plants.
I've been using it for over 35 years. I've had Bell Peppers as large as Cantelopes and Chile Peppers by the hundreds on one plant. Tomatoes and Eggplant love it too.
I mix 2 Tbs. of epsom salt in a spray bottle with water and shake vigorously.
I alternate one week of fettilizer, next week epsom salt spray, etc.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance:

Buck,
It gives a quick 'shot in the arm' of Magnesium to your Pepper plants.
I've been using it for over 35 years. I've had Bell Peppers as large as Cantelopes and Chile Peppers by the hundreds on one plant. Tomatoes and Eggplant love it too.
I mix 2 Tbs. of epsom salt in a spray bottle with water and shake vigorously.
I alternate one week of fettilizer, next week epsom salt spray, etc.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance:
I read on another forum that it may harm the microbes in the soil. Then I read that it doesn't. I've seen by your other posts that you are really into natural free organic fertilizers.....so I'm guessing by your post that it doesn't effect the living organisms in the soil?

I read on another forum that it may harm the microbes in the soil. Then I read that it doesn't. I've seen by your other posts that you are really into natural free organic fertilizers.....so I'm guessing by your post that it doesn't effect the living organisms in the soil?

I think he sprays his plants with Epsom Salt instead of root feeding them through the soil.

Alan

lol...you joined in October. THAT is a year? Just messin' with ya!
A lack of magnesium causes your plants to look yellowish. The next time you water your plants, sprinkle a little Epsom salt around the base before hand. Your plants will look SOOOO much better!

Not sure about the microbe thing, getting just a little techy for me, the guys got it right, there maybe different way to apply it but there is no denning the end result!

I now buy it in 55 gallon drums,

SC

Do you have to buy some garden grade Epsom salt or can I just use any kind of Epsom salt? How early should I give Epsom salt to my plants?

It's magnesium sulfate (MgSO[sub]4[/sub]·7H[sub]2[/sub]O). You can get it anywhere, I got mine at the pharmacy, just because I needed a significantly smaller quantity than what was offered at the local garden center...

As with any other ferts, I'd wait for 2-3 sets of true leaves before giving it to them.

Not that I know of or have seen from my experience.
Actually now even WalMart has Epson Salt in their Gardenign Department...it's gone mainstream.

you can buy epsom salts in the bath & soap second of most grocery stores(at least that's where i get mine, so don't give up if you can't find it in the garden section), people use it in their baths to sooth their skin.

the only thing i would caution is that if you do buy it in the bath & soap section of a store that you don't buy the fragranced type. the wife used all my salts for the kids bath and when i went to make a new batch all i could find is lavender flavoured. i don't know, maybe it would have been super epsom salt but i wasn't going to take a chance, so off to the store i went and picked up a bag of just plain epsom salt.

i keep 3 misting bottles on hand, 1 is just plain epsom salt and water, 1 is epsom salt and kelp, 1 is epsom salt and aspirin.

my standard is to mist the plants in the late evening. i have read some gardeners say morning is best, evening seems to work best for me and i don't think i will change that.

I know my parents used to sprinkle a little Epsom salt in the hole before transplanting outside. They also put a bit of hair too, anyone know what the hair was for?

Thanks Spicy Chicken

i keep 3 misting bottles on hand, 1 is just plain epsom salt and water, 1 is epsom salt and kelp, 1 is epsom salt and aspirin.

Now I've got a handle on epsom salt. Burning Colon: whats the deal with the aspirin?
I'll skip wanting info on the hair.

Buck

Burning Colon: whats the deal with the aspirin?

like franz mentioned.

sometimes you get that odd seedlings that just gets sick and you don't know why, the aspirin gives it that headache cure.

here is an example, just over a month ago, i reseeded a piece of rockwool with a dorset naga seed, i left the original seed thinking it was rotten, a week later both seeds sprouted in the single piece of rockwool, go figure. well, 1 of plants started to shrivel and looking sick, so i decided to separate the plants. i got my scissors and snip right down the middle of the rockwool and moved the sickly plant back to my heated germination station. still looking weak, i misted the plant and rockwool with epsom salt/aspirin mix a couple of times to treat the sprout.

the treated sprout has made a complete recovery.

i had other plants that started to drop their leaves and others leaves shrivel, a quick shot of aspirin has slowed this process and has restore the health of the plant.

What are the exact quantities (if known) that you folks are using in the your spray bottles? How big are the spray bottles and how much epsom salt?

I've used it myself, but diluted in water for feeding. Occasionally I'll pour a little of that into a spray bottle for the leaves as well. Just curious to know what strengths everyone else is using.

Back