• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Earthworms in your outdoor containers...

Saw a little snip in a post here about it but not mush else...

Rained like crazy over the last few days and the worms are out. Saw one on the walk and throw it into one of my containers, like a pig to slop that worm was gone in just a few minutes...

Question... Do any of you do this and if so how did it go...?

i did this last year with my red habs, most of the 1s i put in the pots went out of the drain holes, and into the tray. and i found them dead...

when i empted out the pots (after my plants had finished producing), i found worms still in the soil...

Seems to work well for me. I grow in organic soil, so maybe this gives them lots to feed on.
Worm farms are great too, get some worms for your pots and some fertilizer for the garden too:cool:

Micca

Not to up on worm farming but I do purchase Castings,Kinda silly!I do know they use a special worm for castings called a red wriggler(sp)I have worms in my pots,I'm hoping they at least keep down the neematoads.Definately need some more info here!

Thanks for the in-put...

Did some searching on the web, most think it's good but some kill any thing in there pots except the plant. Almost all authorities on the subject say it's a good idea if you can get them to stay...

Here are some cool facts...

The most common garden earthworm, the nightcrawler (lumbricus terristris) is not native to North America and was in fact brought,over in potted plants by Europeans. Most of the native North American earthworms were killed during the last Ice Age 10 to 15 thousand years ago. This is one case of where the accidental introduction of a foreign species has been beneficial.

An earthworm can grow only so long. A well-fed adult will depend on what kind of worm it is, how many segments it has, how old it is and how well fed it is.

Worms can eat their weight each day.

An earthworm has no arms, legs or eyes.

There are over 2,500 different kinds of earthworms.

Worms can live wherever they can find food, moisture, oxygen and a favorable temperature.

There are about a million earthworms in one acre of land.

The largest earthworm was found in South Africa and measured 22 feet.

Worms tunnel deeply in the soil and bring subsoil closer to the surface mixing it with the topsoil. The sticky slime found on an earthworms skin, helps hold clusters of soil particles together in formations called aggregates. This slime is actually a secretion from the worm and contains nitrogen.

Worms are cold-blooded animals.

Worms can grow a new tail, but not grow a new head if they are cut off.

Baby worms hatch from cocoons smaller than a grain of rice.

Earthworms don’t have eyes, but can sense light, especially at their anterior (front end). They move away from light. If exposed to light for about an hour, they will become paralyzed.

If a worm’s skin dries out, it will die.

Worms are hermaphrodites. Each worm has both male and female organs. Worms mate by joining their clitella (swollen area near the head of a mature worm) and exchanging sperm. Then each worm forms an egg capsule in its clitellum.

I've tried it in the past, but I never noticed a big difference. I'm thinking that since I usually have my planters on grass, the worms just wiggle out the bottom.

s'pos you could put something like a layer of gravel in the bottem of the pot to help prevent them from getting out

What happens when it gets really hot in say August? Won't they cook in the containers? Sorry I am not trying to be Mr. Negative. I am just curious.

they don't kill stuff they eat detritus an other things as they burrow around. This may include weed seeds, fungus or pest larvae. Also you can put some veggy scraps on top of the soil an they'll eat it. Their poop (castings) is one if not thee best organic fertilizer out there. Extreme heat will kill them, as will dehydration.

From what I've read they range from 1' to 4' deep in the soil depending on the time of year and the moisture content of the soil. They can take some heat as long as they have moisture, if you have ever done black plastic as a mulch in your garden and checked underneath the worms are there all summer long. By August and the heat, the plants should shade the pots and as long as there's moisture and food I bet they will stay but it's best to let them come and go as they will. Perfect for getting the kid's interested in the garden, kid's just love hunting nightcrawlers with a flash light. They eat 80% dirt and 20% compost ( red wigglers used for castings are the polar opposites ) so there perfect for container growing and that's how they got here in the first place...

Every thing need's to be organic, no blue fertilizer ( Miracle Grow & such ) the salts will kill them. Once the plants and worms are established you can feed both with a layer of compost on top of the soil in the pot. The worm's will break it down so the plant can feed more efficient, the circle of life continues..."-)

Here's something to think about also...

"There are about a million earthworms in one acre of land."

They sell these worm's @ .16c each as fish bait, that mean's if you buy one acre of land you are the proud owner of $160,000.00 worth of worm's...! Only one problem, you got to catch all those little burgers to cash out..."-)

anyone ever heard of "fiddlin" for worms?

you take a one by four stake (pointed on one end), drive it into the ground about 18" deep then take another one by four and with the flat side run it back and fourth across the one in the ground...it causes the one by four in the ground to vibrate and the worms will come to the top of the ground and out so you can pick them up...

it really works...of course, there has to be worms around...this is the way I got my fish bait when I was growing up...

AlabamaJack said:
anyone ever heard of "fiddlin" for worms?

you take a one by four stake (pointed on one end), drive it into the ground about 18" deep then take another one by four and with the flat side run it back and fourth across the one in the ground...it causes the one by four in the ground to vibrate and the worms will come to the top of the ground and out so you can pick them up...

it really works...of course, there has to be worms around...this is the way I got my fish bait when I was growing up...

Never heard of that before, but sounds pretty cool. Is that an old Texas trick, or Alabama? Whenever it rains here, I'll throw a few earthworms in my pots, for soil aeration if nothing else.

I put a container of manure and soil in a damp shady area and I get a pile of earth worms in no time after a rain, I just wish I could attract more composting worms.

Red worms are more productive than night crawlers and eat more stuff more quickly.

Trout fishermen say they are the best bait, too.

Back