• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Dude this SUCKS!!

....I'm handling it pretty well, but I am no one more person without a job in this great state. I just got laid off yesterday. Fortunately they are still going to pay me until Mid-January and they are still going to pay for my medical insurance until Mid-April. In that area I'm actually greatful to not here........well.......you'll get you're last check in the mail next week. Good luck. Either way now I have to look for a new job. I'll probably have better luck after the holidays honestly. Well, I'm starting to ramble, that's my update so far though.

Sorry to hear that bro. Go get yourself on unemployment for the time being.....well, at least before that dries up also.

I feel your pain.

Typically severence pay is not used to disqualify you for unemployment. Go ahead and apply. If you are going to have to go cobra at all, you will need the extra $.

Unfortunately I had to do that a year ago, but I am in a much better job now. I wish you the same good fortune!

BUMMER!!!!! I'm really sorry to hear that. I know how it feels to get let go. Am I remembering correctly that you were having a feeling they were going to lay you off? Or was that someone else on this fine forum?

cheezydemon said:
If you are going to have to go cobra at all, you will need the extra $.

Don't go Cobra, they are a terrorist organization:
gijoe-cobra.jpg

Yeah that sucks the preverbial dogs balls mate, specialy since your wife is pregnant. Just tell any prospective employer to get on this site, we will tell them how good you are at whatever it is you do:)

Best of luck Rabbit, say a prayer, it can't hurt.

We can't say it like that though Nova, we will say that Rabbit is the best damn "whatever" we know... Guess we should find that out first. Sorry to hear about that Rabbit. Right before the holidays that really sucks. In my experience though these things often work out for the better in the long run. Good luck man.

JayT said:
We can't say it like that though Nova, we will say that Rabbit is the best damn "whatever" we know... Guess we should find that out first. Sorry to hear about that Rabbit. Right before the holidays that really sucks. In my experience though these things often work out for the better in the long run. Good luck man.

I actually agree with you Jay. EVERYTHING happens for a reason and what's funny is in a couple years I was planning on moving out of state and doing something that paid alot better anyways. My job actually paid very well for what I do, but it is what it is. I'll be alright guys.:cool:

imaguitargod said:
BUMMER!!!!! I'm really sorry to hear that. I know how it feels to get let go. Am I remembering correctly that you were having a feeling they were going to lay you off? Or was that someone else on this fine forum?

Don't go Cobra, they are a terrorist organization:
gijoe-cobra.jpg
Yeah, that was me that thought it was coming. Had a feeling it might happen for three months. What's funny is I was working on a project for the North American Autoshow and now someone else has to pick up the slack....Honestly I feel there laying off the guys they did in my department is going to screw them over in the long run. You know how people higher up in the corporate ladder looks at things though. How can we save money this quarter. Truth is now they'll be doing more outsourcing and losing a ton of money down the road:lol: Also, I don't have to even consider Cobra until Mid-April anyways. Dealt with that one before. Honestly not even really worth my time. Cobra SUCKS!!:lol:

DickT said:
Sorry to hear that Rabbit , what kind of work do you do.

Not a problem Dick. I'm a metal fabricator. Pretty much they hand me a blueprint or give me an idea of what they need. Then it's my job to figure out all of the bugs and make the first part. That usually means, cut&weld, making tooling, various types of machining (Milling, lathe work, surface grinding, ect.), sawing, grinding, or just welding. I'll find something. I'm actually going to head out to have my mom send me my old resume that's on her computer later on today and I'm going to update it. I found a couple possible jobs to apply for soon as well. It's a paycut, but it can get me buy for now. What's scary though is several years ago when I was looking in this field in this area there were ALOT of jobs. As in pages looking for people in my work. Now between 2 sites I saw a total of maybe 5 listings. Kind of like a ghost town:shocked:.) I actually want to get a job as a pipewelder in Alaska, but I need to brush up on my SMAW (Shilded Metal Arc Welding.) So whatever I get for now I don't plan on being my permanant career anyways.

rabbit said:
Yeah, that was me that thought it was coming. Had a feeling it might happen for three months. What's funny is I was working on a project for the North American Autoshow and now someone else has to pick up the slack....Honestly I feel there laying off the guys they did in my department is going to screw them over in the long run. You know how people higher up in the corporate ladder looks at things though. How can we save money this quarter. Truth is now they'll be doing more outsourcing and losing a ton of money down the road:lol: Also, I don't have to even consider Cobra until Mid-April anyways. Dealt with that one before. Honestly not even really worth my time. Cobra SUCKS!!:lol:

Did anyone catch my G.I. Joe referance there? Or am I the only geek around?

imaguitargod said:

Yeah, i got it. I was going to mention something about an inept boss in a blue uniform with a chrome mask but didn't.

imaguitargod said:
Honestly bro I used to watch GI Joe as a kid, but didn't catch on because I'm still groggy in the morning bro....Nice one though:lol:

Rabbit...do you do road work?....meaning will you go on the road to work?...I was a sheet metal mechanic working in paper mills on and off for a long time...worked in industrial sheet metal erection...not much fabrication work as it was putting prefabbed stuff together...pretty good money in it but it is extremely hard work...about like iron work....

reason I ask is I know one of the owners of a company out of Pensacola and he is a good man...I don't know you from adam other than on this site but I assume you are a hard worker and dependable...if you want, I can give him a call and see what kind of construction work he has and tell him to be expecting a call from you...

if you are interested, PM me and we can discuss it...I haven't talked to him in about a year but he is the reason I went back to engineering school...I started working for him the first time in 1975 so I have known him for many years...

AlabamaJack said:
Rabbit...do you do road work?....meaning will you go on the road to work?...I was a sheet metal mechanic working in paper mills on and off for a long time...worked in industrial sheet metal erection...not much fabrication work as it was putting prefabbed stuff together...pretty good money in it but it is extremely hard work...about like iron work....

reason I ask is I know one of the owners of a company out of Pensacola and he is a good man...I don't know you from adam other than on this site but I assume you are a hard worker and dependable...if you want, I can give him a call and see what kind of construction work he has and tell him to be expecting a call from you...

if you are interested, PM me and we can discuss it...I haven't talked to him in about a year but he is the reason I went back to engineering school...I started working for him the first time in 1975 so I have known him for many years...

Do you mean can I travel and be gone for a couple weeks at a time and then be home for some time? If it's that kind of job I don't mind that at all. I can't be gone for months at a time because I'm married and having a kid and all, but if it's the kind of job where I'd have to travel and be gone for while and then spend some time home as well I can do that. I'll send you a PM. I don't mind working and traveling either. Just have to balance work and marriage. You know how it is;)

Yup...I know how it is my friend...we will talk off line about it...

AlabamaJack said:

Oooohhhhhhh......man AJ you just gave me a bad flashback when you said working in papermills......I was a union insulator for a while and those places were rough.....really really rough to work in.....i just got a chill down my spine

Back