• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Drastic Cutback Overwintering...

It will not be a big deal if they do not come back, but it would be great if they did. I have far to many plants this year so if I lose one or two its not a terrible loss.

millworkman said:
It will not be a big deal if they do not come back, but it would be great if they did. I have far to many plants this year so if I lose one or two its not a terrible loss.

Oh yea I agree completely. It would just be convenient if I could overwinter a few varieties I like, out of the way in my basement.

With my short growing season it would have been nice to have something get a head start on things but oh well. I got enough stuff to grow as is...

I've just fought off the first attack of the aphids. The pilange and Chaco Yellow look ok, but the Heart Throb is deeply unhappy.

Pam said:
the Heart Throb is deeply unhappy.

Sorry to hear.
I chopped mine down to 5 inches with no leaves (links to pictures at the beginning of the thread). I haven't seen any bugs. That was also one of my reasons for cutting them back so far. Indoor growers always mention how terrible aphids are.

Well, when you bring them inside, you protect the aphids from their natural predators, especially if you do things organically as I do.

If the Heart Throb doesn't make it, it's no biggie. I have more seeds, and I have along growing season. I mostly brought it in because it was in a hanging basket and was easy to grab on that first cold snap.

I've had aphids bad already but I isolated and/or destroyed the problem plants, I hope.

Here's my overwintered fatalii again. Its growing nicely, and isn't as yellow as it looks, but I don't have room to let it get too big unfortunately
3207415316_57b8d6b2db.jpg

Well, I'm using a mild vegan compost tea right now that was given to me to try. I've purchased liquid organic fertilizers before and I've had problems with some going funky on me. I don't think these products usually have a very long shelf life:(

POTAWIE said:
Here's my overwintered fatalii again. Its growing nicely

Yea it is coming along nice. Thanks for keeping my morale up. After the last few posts about plants dying my hope was starting to dwindle.

Pam mentioned that I should cut the stems back to the green parts. I was wondering what you did to yours?

I don't think that's what Pam said, but that's what I do. I cut them way back in the fall and then later on if they look weak I'll cut all the dead "wood" off until I hit some green. You don't need to be so drastic but I find it save a lot of space

POTAWIE said:
I don't think that's what Pam said, but that's what I do. I cut them way back in the fall and then later on if they look weak I'll cut all the dead "wood" off until I hit some green. You don't need to be so drastic but I find it save a lot of space

Well she told M-Monkey not to based on his scenario but earlier she had said I should cut mine back when I brought them up out of the basement. She also said I should hold off on transplanting them until they bounced back a bit. I am thinking since I have 3 plants I may cut 2 back to the green and let the other one go and see what happens. I went into this expecting them all to die so if that is the result I guess I cannot be too disappointed. Thanks for your help.

Pam would you mind clearing up what you told me and M-Monkey to do. I went back and read it and am now doubting myself. I took it as you saying I should cut mine back when I brought them up into warmer temps and light. In terms of M-Monkey, I thought you were saying because his continues to die each time he cut it that he should leave it be.

Thanks
Josh

Well you shouldn't have to tranplant or fertilise until you start getting good growth. I cut mine back recently just to see if there is any green and if there isn't they become compost instead of taking up valuable room in my I.C.U.

mmmmm I say a lot, but I think I was probably saying that you could safely trim away the dead stalks rather than you *should* trim down to the green.

Pam said:
mmmmm I say a lot, but I think I was probably saying that you could safely trim away the dead stalks rather than you *should* trim down to the green.

Well, well, well. The truth comes out.
No prob. thanks for the clarification.

Updated pics from Jan 19

Here are my overwintered plants as of this morning. Snow flurries outside but all seem to be hanging on in a cool basement. I have 2 Chocolate Habs and one is cut back a bunch and the other still has some pods and isn't cut back at all. It has a bunch of white specks on top of most leaves. The specks aren't moving and seem to brush off easily, but I don't know what they are or if they are putting the plant in danger. It looks quite healthy other than that. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

White spot Choc Hab
3210175806_38ccacfe60_b.jpg

cut back White Bullet and Gold Bullet in back
3209330181_605e7df123_b.jpg

Manzano red doing fine and still with some very large pods - this will be the 3rd year for this plant - ez to overwinter - just give water every once in a while - they seem to love the cool basement
3210175714_6801119a15_b.jpg

view more photos in my Overwinter Project set at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigt61

Back