• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dorset Naga or Naga Morich

Nagas

I too Guy am very disappointed by this action. Seems inappropriate and opportunistic. If I'm missing something anyone, please let me know. I can't fathom how they can attempt this. I would also have thought it appropriate to at least issue an apology for previous articles that insinuated Nagas were mythical.

Knowing that several people issued them free seeds for testing bothers me more. I considered sending them something next year, but that WILL NOT happen.

Chris

Mr. Myiagi! :-)

Seeds have been sold for a while.. They are easy to get. In a year or 2 Naga Morich will be in most mainstream sauces probably. There is no real way that this can be prevented. Legally people will include it in their sauces and change the name or something to Mr. Myiagi's Revenge...

Well, I don't know if you guys are still interested but I've
just dropped the price of both Morich and Dorset for the Christmas
period.

I'm not convinced that the different named naga varieties are
anything more than regional variations of the same variety.
I'm growing 4 that I can get my hands on next season for
a direct comparison. In the end, they're all blisteringly hot
and they all have the distinctive aroma and taste. In a
blindfold taste test I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference
(except that the Dorsets I've tried did seem to have a little
less heat - still very hot though!)

Also, thanks for the kind words naganero, glad yours did fine,
try to keep them going for a second year and you'll see a lot
more pods.

Tony.

Imagine This!

RedThumb said:
Seeds are also now available from The Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State U. (http://spectre.nmsu.edu/dept/welcome.html?t=chile).

They have "Bhut Jolokia" seeds. From what I've pieced togther, Naga Morich/Naga Jolokia/Bih Jolokia/Bhut Jolokia/Borbih jolokia, Nagahari, Nagajolokia, Naga Morich, Naga Moresh and Raja mirchi are all names for the same (or possibly closely related) pepper.

In any event, The Chili Pepper Institute measured the pepper they have at 1,001,304 SHU.:lol:

I just ordered some yesterday & am looking forward to growing them. I understand they are slow growers and should be planted early. Any suggestions on how early for growing in Zone 7?

Wow over a Mill SU!! This pepper in its mashed form with some vinegar perhaps and garlic will be like Blair's Jersey Death But with no extracts just natural flavor. These will revolutionize the entire industry. I may have to start ordering seeds from nagaseeds on ebay and start to grow some of these badboys!!

Anyone have any instructions are growing them let me know what works best.

Cheers,

HotSauceGoonie said:
Anyone have any instructions are growing them let me know what works best.

Cheers,

They are C. Chinense and have a longer germination period than
some others, usually 2-4 weeks, and do better if started in
a heated propagator. We (nagaseeds) include a germination
and growing guide with the seeds. We see 90%+ germination following
this guide.
Growth period, like other Chinense is also slightly longer than
others, producing pods in 100-120 days.

Tony.

Tony said:
They are C. Chinense and have a longer germination period than
some others, usually 2-4 weeks, and do better if started in
a heated propagator.

I got lucky :lol: Mine was above ground in exactly 6 and a half days from planting. Since I'm too ghetto for a heated propagator, I used an incandescent light bulb kept at about 6-8" to keep the soil nice and warm. It worked great. The only thing about that is, you have to keep a close eye on it. As soon as it showed signs of breaking the soil, I swapped the incandescent out for a CFL.

If the seed-coat is still soft from very fresh seeds they often
come up faster. The fastest I've ever got was about 5 days from
seeds planted right from the pod, this is not common though.
The point is to be patient and not to discard then after 2 weeks.

Tony

Tony said:
If the seed-coat is still soft from very fresh seeds they often
come up faster. The fastest I've ever got was about 5 days from
seeds planted right from the pod, this is not common though.
The point is to be patient and not to discard then after 2 weeks.

Tony

Thanks for the info Tony, I'm sure that is probably why mine did come up fast. I got the seeds from someone who grew them out this year so they probably were still pretty fresh.

We usually use rockwool cubes. These come with holes already
punched into the cube. These are about 1cm deep and the seed
goes in there uncovered. The smallest 2cm cubes are fine for
germination if you plan to move onto compost.

If using compost we drop the seeds onto the top of the mix and
then cover with 5mm of vermiculite. This ensures air gets to
the seeds which need both moisture and air to germinate.

Too deep or a covering of compacted compost can prevent air
getting to the seeds which then rot.

Tony

Well, this is quite the education for me. I usually buy my peppers as seedlings from Lowe's (an American super-sized hardware palace) and have had fairly good luck. But I treat them like royality for the first two weeks so they don't die on me!

cmpman1974 said:
I would also have thought it appropriate to at least issue an apology for previous articles that insinuated Nagas were mythical.
Chris

There's no use confusing science and myth...what Dave said is that there was no scientific test and that the Indian growers wouldn't send samples for further testing.

If there's no scientific test, it's just rumor. Nobody needs to apologize for that.....

HotSauceGoonie said:
When do you think it will be when some companies come out with sauces containing Naga Morich or Dorset Naga chili's? The peppers have been discovered now for almost a year.

Cheers,

Chileman,

Do you sell sauce? The recipe page (http://www.thechileman.org/naga_morich.php) you have for making naga sauce has a picture of a sauce bottle labeled "Naga Snake Bite ... from The Chile man".

Naga Sauce Snakebite

RedThumb said:
Chileman,

Do you sell sauce? The recipe page (http://www.thechileman.org/naga_morich.php) you have for making naga sauce has a picture of a sauce bottle labeled "Naga Snake Bite ... from The Chile man".

I would love to try some of this sauce if it can be sold out to us. I would definitely get at least one bottle and if its super super hot and natural tasting I would get many more for friends and stuff.

Cheers,

LOL

imaguitargod said:
HAHA! I know of what you refear, sir.

Hey,

That was the weekend. I don't really drink at all. I lost 90 pounds so it hits me harder than normally. I went from 230 to 140and I guess alot of it is due to chili's and depression....

Cheers,

Back