• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video Do I have enough time for peppers to ripen..(video)

My 3 T scorps have a decent amount of peppers on the lower half of plant that are green still. but the canopy's are getting huge and have TONS of small peppers and flowers at top. I have maybe until Oct.1. Here is a crappy vid I took last night if you want to check them out. First year with super hots. thanks for any help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU4jssbVPAs

Video in the dark. Huh. Couldn't tell for sure if your plants are in the ground or in pots. If they're in pots, you can do what I do - move them out of the weather when it gets too cold, and the pods will continue to ripen. If they're in the ground, you can build a shelter around them and run heat to them. Neither may be practical, but these are options that have worked for other people.

That said, I'm in Ohio, so not as far north as you are, but also not near the ocean. Our grow season here is pretty short, which is why I grow in pots for movability. But you have a LOT more plants than I do, which is why I realize that may not be practical for you. You know, our weather here is a crapshoot - yours probably is, too. But that said, as big as those pods are, if you have until some time in October, most should ripen by then.

Video in the dark. Huh. Couldn't tell for sure if your plants are in the ground or in pots. If they're in pots, you can do what I do - move them out of the weather when it gets too cold, and the pods will continue to ripen. If they're in the ground, you can build a shelter around them and run heat to them. Neither may be practical, but these are options that have worked for other people.

That said, I'm in Ohio, so not as far north as you are, but also not near the ocean. Our grow season here is pretty short, which is why I grow in pots for movability. But you have a LOT more plants than I do, which is why I realize that may not be practical for you. You know, our weather here is a crapshoot - yours probably is, too. But that said, as big as those pods are, if you have until some time in October, most should ripen by then.

Yeah I know video in the dark is not the best. I only have 3 plants and they are in 10 gallon pots but they are so big that it would take up way to much space in the house. I have an unheated garage that I could bring them in for when the night temps start to really drop- Thanks for the tips

If the first few frosts are sporadic instead of every night in a row (so it would be tedious to do so...) you can cover the plants with bed sheets or similar to protect against frost damage. If your garage is attached to the house it will probably stay a few degrees, maybe 10 or more warmer than outside. This may buy you a few weeks to finish up ripening of the larger pods on the plants.

Any pods that are full sized within the next 3 weeks will probably ripen but be sure to pick and bring them inside if the temperatures they would be in would ever get below freezing, you don't want them to freeze because then the cell structure is damaged and they need to be eaten right away or otherwise used instead of sitting out at room temperature any longer.

The first round of pods always take a long time to ripen. But as the weather starts to change, and the days get shorter, they ripen much faster. At least that's how it is for me. It's like the plants know their time to reproduce is limited.

I'm begginig to worry as well....I got tons of pods on my superhots but they are all green...hopefully within next few weeks they ripen...

Just noticed one of my Habanero pods is starting to change color...

Back