• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DIY LED FIXTURE

I only plan on growing 4 plants indoors, the fact that 5w allows me to grow 30 does not balance out the cost of the leds to do so, so in your opinion - Yes I'm fine with 1w/1plant ;)

Anything more than 1 plant and your better off going with the 3watt w/ lenses. It will more than likely be cheaper. But to each there own. I was just using my 5w lights as an example. I only suggest 5watt lights if your going to grow a significant amount of plants like I am.

I use 1 watt LEDs because they are perfect for MY grow area(Small Shelves-4ft X 18in. X 24in+/-)
I only grow 1 or 2 full sized plants.

I can get 10mm (100lm) and 1watt stars(50-80Lm) in wave lengths that 3 watt or larger LEDS don't come in.

I use vertical LED panels in 10mm in different Wave Lengths that stars don't come in.
If stars OR 10mm LEDs came in all the wave lengths I'm using I'd only use either stars or 10mm LEDs horizontaly on my plants.

I basically want 18in starter plants that are fully branching etc. to put in pots outside.

I have found that the more wave lengths in blue between 430nm and 475nm and red between 615nm to 635nm and 650nm and 675nm I use the better.

A large 5 watt light like you posted wouldn't give me more than half the wave lengths I want/have now and I don't have enough room to hang one on a shelf where it wouldn't cut drastically into my limited grow space.

Since 5 watt LEDs are made up of a couple 1 1/3rd watt chips I don't see that much difference in bundling up my 1 watters on a sheet of 1/8th aluminium that flat mounts to my shelf.
If I remember right the 5 watt LEDS are about 190 or so Lumens each,that is about like 2-3 of the 1watt or 10mm leds I use.
I'd rather have my 190 Lumens split up into 2-4 different wave lengths.

I am only lighting shelves for the most part.
Nothing is very much farther away from the panels than 18in. from the top of the pot the plant is in.

I get a lux reading of about 32,000 - 37000 lux on my shelves just from the stars that are 50lm-80lm each and more from the 10mm panels.
Average sunlight is about 35000+/- depending where you live.

As I said before.I designed my stuff for MY needs/use.
1 watt LEDS are a lot easier on my wallet also.
I assemble them at work so labor is paid for by my boss,indirectly.

I'm not trying to use them as you are,like some use halides or whatever.I never said I was or told people they could.
I do tell what I use them for and post pics from time to time.

I did find 3 watt LEDS weren't any better when I used them on my shelves than the 1 watt ones I started using when I compared the 2 side by side.

I just don't need them (larger watt LEDS) for my setup.
As far as lenses goes,My LEDs are close enough together and only have to light a short distance away,it wasn't worth the extra cost.
I get plenty of overlap as it is.

I use 40 degree angle 10mm LEDs around the sides (in different wave lengths than above)anyway.I don't think my shelves are hurting for wave lengths or Lumens.

1Watt leds don't need cooling like the 3watt or larger ones do.My sheet of 1/8th in. aluminium works fine.

They 1 watt and 10mm LEDs come in more different wave lengths in about the same lm as 3 watt LEDs.

I guess you can equate my LEDs as an upgrade for Flouros on shelves which is what I pretty much use them for mostly.
I don't use grow tents-don't have the room.

I do grow a couple bigger plants but only use 2 16x16in panels per plant with some room light that MIGHT be helping out.

If I ever get a grow room I'm sure my 1 watt panels would end up being supplamental light for stuff like your solar flare or whatever.
But right now,for my use,1 watt is just fine for my shelves.

Back