• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Dense seed starting.....

My dad did something like this last year with store bought bell pepper seeds. He used "Back Yard" soil in an 18 count egg carton.
I ended up having to separate them (long story on why) and it is a huge pita! There were over 80 seedlings in there and I lost about 20 due to them being totally entangled in the neighbor's root system.

I would only recommend this method if you've got a low germination rate on the seeds.

I'm a huge fan of group sowing but in my IMO what that guy did is idiotic. I sow ~100 seeds in a 10" octagonal to-go plastic tray and transplant them once they get big enough. It takes a tiny bit more effort but I get 100 percent of the cells filled with living plants that usually get buried to their bottom leaves.

Mike

Pepperfreak,

I have about 1,000 cells filled! I don't want to wait a couple of weeks to see if a seed is going to germinate and if not stick another one in. Plus, have you ever tried to select ONE basil or azalea seed at a time?!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Pepperfreak,

I have about 1,000 cells filled! I don't want to wait a couple of weeks to see if a seed is going to germinate and if not stick another one in. Plus, have you ever tried to select ONE basil or azalea seed at a time?!

Mike

Good point...I have only planted pepper seeds so far. I guess if the seeds are any smaller than pepper or tomato seeds, I too would be planting in bulk.

It's not just the size of the seeds, but two other things. Germination and the initial growth of seedlings. If one is only growing a few plants, my method would be stupid. But if I or someone else want to raise hundreds of plants under limited amount of room and light, and have them ready to sell later this spring, having a strong plant in each cell is important.

It's worked for me, too much so. My plants are too tall at this stage of the game. I've got to find a way to slow their growth.

Imagine that!

Mike

wordwiz said:
I'm a huge fan of group sowing but in my IMO what that guy did is idiotic.

Mike

I start several thousand tomato, pepper and eggplant seedlings (hundreds of varieties) this way for resale. There's nothing idiotic about it.

Seedlings are transfered to larger pots after true leaves form.

~DiggingDog

:shocked: 6000 seedlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:

my wife would kill me at first then shed like the money from selling them....

Very Impressive!!!!!

Back