• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Dehydrator recipes

What are your favorite recipes for using the dehydrator?

Here's the first thing I did with my new dehydrator:

I got a nice little hand driven apple-peeling and -cutting device. It cuts a nice spiral you can cut to apple rings. I made a marinade of Calvados, Red Savina powder and ginger powder and marinaded the apple rings in it. Then I put the rings in the dehydrator for about 6 hours. Now they have a nice flavor and a mild heat. It's an absolutely lovely snack for TV evenings.

Apple rings reloaded: My wife loves dark chocolate with beer. So this time I marinated the apples with Jever Pils and hab powder, dehydrated them and covered them with dark chocolate. Hope she will like'em.

Hey chilliman, what cuts do you use for your Jerkey? I was going to P.M. you but you left the door open here!

I go for the leanest I can get - if making jerky from whole meat I will buy extra lean beef from Woolworths, not sure what the cut is called but it is virtually fat and gristle free - if making jerky from ground beef/mince I just get the leanest premium mince I can find. fat in meat may turn rancid when used for jerky so you want it as lean as possible.

I make my jerky with the woolies heart smart topside roasts. One topside makes about a metric shitload of jerky, costs about 20bux and the meat is great!

RingburnDave said:
I make my jerky with the woolies heart smart topside roasts. One topside makes about a metric shitload of jerky, costs about 20bux and the meat is great!

that's the one Dave, that's what I use but couldn't recall the name, it is great beef! it's a little pricey but well worth it when you are munching a couple of sticks of hab jerky and knocking back a few icey cold brewskies!!!

I really like the dried apple idea. I don't have a fancy cutting machine, but I guess I can manage to cut them myself! :) It wouldn't have crossed my mind to marinate apples, but it's a great idea!

Chiliac said:
I really like the dried apple idea. I don't have a fancy cutting machine, but I guess I can manage to cut them myself! :) It wouldn't have crossed my mind to marinate apples, but it's a great idea!

You'll find those cutting machines for 7,99€ up to 20€ at ebay... I live in an apple area here and I saw that machine at my sons school.

RingburnDave said:

;)

How did I miss this thread?

I am guessing the intent was for recipes other than jerky!;)

However....as that was not specified!!!!

My best EVER, EVER, EVER!!!!!

was

2 cups soy sauce
3 tbsp Smoked Red Jalapeno Powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
TONS of black pepper coarse cracked over the meat after it was on the trays!!

The black pepper added a nice little bit of texture.

Of course hab powder, naga, whatever could be substituted, but despite my love for those NOTHING beats the flavor of ripe jalapeno and beef.

RingburnDave said:

Haha, that is my favorite measuring unit, I use it all the time.

As far as jerky goes, I really like to air dry mine using a homemade dehydrator as I prefer the end result compared to using a dehydrator with a heating element.

This "homemade dehydrator" is nothing more than a 20" box fan with paper air filters strapped to the front. Simply lay marinated jerky in the ridges of the filters, turn the fan on low & wait 12 hrs. I use flank steak cut along the grain and it makes nice skinny sticks.

RingburnDave said:

" a metric shitload of jerky.." That fits perfectly with my "four douches of hot sauce". I like it.

Cheers, TB.

Back