• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying dehydrating liquid spices

Apparently you just mix it 60/40 fat/tapioca and hit it with a food processor.

http://www.gourmet.com/food/video/2008/05/goldfarb_tapiocamaltodextrin

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061126190111AAIvI9e

Powdered Orange Blossom Yogurt

yogurt + orange blossom water + tapioca starch

Thorougly mix yogurt and orange blossom water. Stir in tapioca starch. Mix until thoroughly incorporated and a powder consistency is reached.

Technique: Tapioca Powdering

Adding a tapioca starch to a liquid causes the absorption of the liquid, turning the liquid into a powder. WD-50 uses this concept to make a powdered olive oil, and Alinea uses a similar method for their powdered salt caramel dessert. Specialized starches- tapioca maltodextrins- are used in such places. You can also use tapioca starch from the grocery store, although the tapioca flavor can be chalky and overpowering. Once the powder goes into your mouth, the original liquid feeling is achieved. Olive oil powder turns into olive oil, yogurt powder turns into yogurt.

Composition: Yogurt, Orange Blossom

To overcome the chalkiness of the tapioca starch, a vanilla yogurt is used. Upon reconstitution of the powder, the sourness and sweetness of the yogurt is what helps us to identify it as yogurt. The orange blossom water adds a strong fragrance that will also withstand the “stress” of being converted to a powder and back.

Ingredient: Orange Blossom Water

Neroli oil, the essential oil of the orange blossom, has a fragrance reminiscent of Morocco or Spain. At Goood Frikin Chicken, they pour orange blossom water over their rice pudding dessert (topped with cinnamon and pistachios).

thehotpepper.com said:
Specialty stores sell them. HERE

you know I've seen that add/link here, though I never looked through it :doh:
thinking its just like any other spice place & I never thought they sold liquid spices in powder form.

well thank you for basically going "hey dumbass look here!" :lol:
they have several powder spices I would like to have! & I'll be ordering some spices from them!

Txclosetgrower said:
Like THP said, tapioca maltodextrin is used a lot in powdering liquids. You can even make powders from oil with the stuff. Do a google search on it.

http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/product_702700_Tapioca_Maltodextrin.html

Don't know if it just works for fatty liquids though.

thanks for the links you posted, I havent looked through them all yet, only because of the spice place that already sells liquid spices in powder form, it makes it easy vs making your own. though that place doesnt have every liquid spice so the maltodextrin is still worth finding for those other flavors!

So now you have answers for store-bought and homemade, so I hope to see pics soon.

chilehunter said:
I just assumed there was no such thing to have basic sauces in powder form.

It took us a while to figure it out, but it can be done. The trick is not having to add drying agents or anti-clumping compounds, as it will affect the flavor, no matter what chemical/agent you use.

Of course, having a Homunculus well-versed in transmutations and alchemical processes does have its perks.

thehotpepper.com said:
So now you have answers for store-bought and homemade, so I hope to see pics soon.

I can take pics of the chips I'm gonna make someday soon but it wont be with those spices from that site, since I havent ordered them yet or find the anti-caking agents.

DEFCON Creator said:
Of course, having a Homunculus well-versed in transmutations and alchemical processes does have its perks.

I dont know WTF that is but I'm gonna have to say I dont have one of those, but I do have a nesco dehydrator :D

chilehunter said:
ok, no more making potato chips inside the house!:doh:

& must get a slicer to cut them thinner, otherwise the taste was good.
Get a mandoline. Perfect for chips!

DEFCON Creator said:
If you've ever ordered from us, you have them, and they now live among you. :hell:

I haven't seen mine in a while but i know he's still here because he avoids the cheap beer like the plague but he sure as hell does bogart all the good stuff.....You turn your head and a whole sixer is gone......plus i constantly find all the empties behind the fridge later....

DEFCON Creator said:
It took us a while to figure it out, but it can be done. The trick is not having to add drying agents or anti-clumping compounds, as it will affect the flavor, no matter what chemical/agent you use.

You know, the term Homunculus comes from the belief a tiny fully formed individual was present in the sperm cell. So, I'm suddenly wondering exactly it is that puts the defcon in Defcon. And a little worried.

Actually, The Homunculus were originally created by Alchemists to basically help him in the lab. Ours however, through self-training, have begun the mastery of suggestion and limited mind control. This is why when people open their Defcon shipments, they don't notice a few of them emerging from the box and taking up residence within their homes. It's just another facet of our Global Assimilation mission.

The D&D one is kinda fun:

MM35_PG154.jpg

Back