• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying dehydrating liquid spices

has anyone did this ? dehydrate liquid spice sauces to use for a dry flake mixture ?
examples - soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, worcestershire sauce, lime juice, etc....

I ask because I bought a spice mixture that says dehydrated lime juice for an ingredient.

right now I have a very small ammount of soy sauce drying for a test. so far it seems like it still stays sticky, or maybe needs to dry alot longer (which I'll try this to) then I wonder how to get the spice mixture off the liquid tray - wonders if freezer would work or not needed ?

I plan on making some homemade potato chips & I want certain ingredients/flavor. since you cant find them at the store or not hot enough.

any thoughts anyone ? or I guess I'll be on my own figuring out how to do this, if it'll work properly.

I know with production potato chips they spray a light oil covering on the chip after cooking then apply seasonings. You could finely grind up some peppers mix it with whatever (dry seasoning) and apply it. I'm not sure about liquid spice dehydration, but it sounds like it's worth a shot.

I had this same doubt myself but haven't tried dehydrating liquids before. Potato chips list ingredients such as vinegar solids and powdered lime juice. I will also try this and report what happens.

ExtremeBurn said:
I know with production potato chips they spray a light oil covering on the chip after cooking then apply seasonings. You could finely grind up some peppers mix it with whatever (dry seasoning) and apply it. I'm not sure about liquid spice dehydration, but it sounds like it's worth a shot.

I didnt know they sprayed a light cover of oil on the chips before applying the seasons, from what I found for information (which isnt much) they say once out of the oil then season them.
I dont know what to do, I guess I'll try both methods in small batches.

oh believe me, I plan on having dried chile powder in the spice mixture. its just hard to find all those other flavors you like in dried form & also even the name brand chips use spices that are not sold in powder form.
one flavor I would like to make is dill pickel w/chile flavor. I wonder how this would work, with the vinegar for dry form & with dill, the chile powder form is easy.

andres said:
I had this same doubt myself but haven't tried dehydrating liquids before. Potato chips list ingredients such as vinegar solids and powdered lime juice. I will also try this and report what happens.

I've noticed plenty of potato chips having flavors that are in liquid form, I know they have all the money to do this but how can the normal person do this.
cuz I know the chips on the market around here dont have the flavors or heat that I like in those combinations. some come close but for some flavors but never heat. then theres also no chips with certain flavors (if you like those flavors) --if this made any sense for what I just said :lol:

I bought a 10 lb bag of potatoes to make some chips, I've been racking my brain as for the spice mixture & where to get them in powder form (if I can)

I guess it'll be trial an error, I was hoping someone here has tried this.

I tried to make a powdered spice using chiles, tomatoes and other herbs aand spices (emulating sazon Goya) but it tends to clump up. I believe an anticlumping agent is necessary in any spice powder, isn't it?

I dont think its needed for every spice mixture. maybe if certain ingredients are used, but I know not all chiles need it if you dry them good enough.

try a little rice in the chili powder or other dry things like salt in a shaker that has holes in it small enough to keep the rice in and big enough to let the spice mix out...

the rice will suck up the humidity...

:old trick practiced on the gulf coast:

Wouldnt dry beans work too?

Just wondering on account of the hole size can be problematic for coarse grinds and rice...rice not cooked is hurty!

Of course, there's always silca gelpacks....

AJ & quad - the rice in salt shakers some small time diners still do this up here.
but that has nothing to do with what I want to do. I dont plan on keeping this stuff for longterm storage, only to spice up some homemade potatoe chips.
I want to dry (dehydrate) liquid sauces/spice down to flake form so I can mix it in with other powdered spices to shake onto homemade potatoe chips, right out of the hot oil, so the homemade spice mixture sticks to the potato chips.
it'd be a little tough to mix soy sauce with powder form spices or to pour soy sauce onto the chips w/o it running off or adding to much. & not having a uniformly coating on the chips with the use of liquid.

It's done all the time. Lots of dried sauces out there. Ketchup powder, worcestershire powder, and Defcon makes a powder that is his wing sauce, dried, with chipotle powder added.

I'm not doubting companies can do this since they have the money/higher tech equipment to get this done by whatever means, but can it be done with a basic dehydrator ?

I'm still waiting on the little soy sauce test, still sticky somewhat.

I've never seen these - Ketchup powder, worcestershire powder

They are usually spray dried with a drying aid, like maltodextrin, so I don't see how you'd do this.

well I'll still give it a try to see it I can get it dry enough to be somewhat dry flake form, where it can be mixed in with other dry spices.

its just a test, cuz the potato chips on the market around here are sort of bland & I dont want to order chips online those would even cost more than. plus who make a really nice an hot asian flavored potato chip ?

You could use something as a carrier, soak it with soy sauce, dehydrate it, and turn it into a powder.

Example: Marinate tomato slices in soy sauce overnight.

OIC..

I can't help with making the dry powder as I haven't tried it yet, but here's what I do for bland chips. It's like shake 'n bake...minus the baking.

1. Make your spice mix..be sure therey aren't big chunks you'd regret biting into. Also watch the salt as chips already have too much usually.

2. Put into a plastic bag. (check it doesn't leak by twisting shut and seeing if air escapes..if it deflates, find another bag.)

3. Add chips.

4. Twist bag shut and secure. You want to trap air inside so it can tumble the chips nicely.

Like so:
S6302320.JPG

That's important if you want even coverage. Keep the bag airtight.

5. Shake/Rattle/Roll... ;)

You're done.

Most chips, esp. potato chips have sufficient oils to allow the mix to stick on. If they don't, you might try nuking the chips by themselves for like 10-20 sec to heat them up a bit beforehand.

This works awesome to transform stuff like generic cheez-puffs, corn chips, potato chips, etc. into something fun. Also works for popcorn.

I've tried different methods, but just a plain 'ol plastic grocery bag, bread bag or large ziploc bag works fine.

Cheers,

-QS

thehotpepper.com said:
They are usually spray dried with a drying aid, like maltodextrin, so I don't see how you'd do this.

I've never really looked, nor on this website for the answer, but can people buy drying or anti-caking agents at the grocery stores ?

POTAWIE said:
I think your soy-sauce will turn out extremely salty when dehydrated.

I figured it would & yes it did, but theres salt in potato chips. I would also only use small ammounts of soy sauce for flavoring.
the results are kinda mixed. it dries it to a point but it has a tendency to clump together when taking it off the liquid tray. I dont know if mixing it with some powder spice would prevent this (never tried that yet)
drying lime juice was a complete failure :lol: that stuff dried to a very thin layer & stuck to the tray. I think to add a lime flavor it might be best to just mist that on once the chip comes out of the oil & before adding the spices.

thehotpepper.com said:
You could use something as a carrier, soak it with soy sauce, dehydrate it, and turn it into a powder.

Example: Marinate tomato slices in soy sauce overnight.

thats a good idea, but what ? & tomatoes is a no for me for chips. I wonder what would happen if I poured liquid spice in with dried chile powder & re-dry it. I wonder if it'd still clump up ? or use bread ?

quad - I would like to make my own vs adding more flavor to store bought chips. I dont know which way is cheaper to do, so I guess I'll have to at least try making my own chips at least once or twice to make that judgement call if its worth making your own potato chips with your own spices.

thehotpepper.com said:
It's done all the time. Lots of dried sauces out there. Ketchup powder, worcestershire powder, and Defcon makes a powder that is his wing sauce, dried, with chipotle powder added.

I know chile companies sell powder form chiles/spice mixture, but I already have chiles in powder form, so this part is not an issue.

I'm curious where you've seen those basic sauces sold in dry powder form, they dont sell them around here, thats not saying much either. I just assumed there was no such thing to have basic sauces in powder form.

Back