• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Deep containers and moisture

Hi guys, just a question about containers. I'm assuming deep pots are better because they hold moisture in longer and thus need to be watered less frequently, but usually deep pots remain moist at the bottom for quite a long time even though the top inch or two might feel dry. Does this mean the roots closer to the top are drying out and if so should one wait until its fairly dry closer to the bottom too when watering or as long as there are drain holes, it should be fine if the bottom is wet but not sitting in a pool of water?

I'm specifically thinking of a 5 gallon container with a dozen 1/2" holes drilled on the base and bottom area. Its home to a 14" tall Bhut Jolokia. I have one of those moisture meters and plunging it about 4" down reads a bit closer to the dry side, at around 10" down, it reads in the middle or moist and poking it through one of the holes close to the bottom reads quite close to the wet level. Wondering about watering intervals.

I use a simple way to determine if they need water. If the leaves start to droop a bit, they get watered. If they aren't they stay dry!

YMMV,

Mike

If you're going to drill holes in the bottom, you should put a piece of screen (like the screen door stuff) on the bottom and then a layer of rocks. I like river stones around 1 inch or so average diameter.
I've found that if you don't, the soil tends to clog the holes and reduce drainage. Two years ago I didn't do that and most of my potted plants, the soil was like frakkin soup at the bottom when I emptied it out. Ick.
Even with that, the soil at the bottom will still be wetter than the top, but yeah, go by if your plants are wilting.

Soil in containers should dry out somewhat before each watering. The plant will then send its roots deeper in search of water while the dryer soil on the top allows the roots to breath. If the soil in the bottom of the pot is too wet then the plant won't send any more roots there than it needs to in order to get water.

Also, plants in containers will normally wilt during the hot summer months, not only because of the direct heat from the sunlight, but also because the soil temp in the container will overheat. So, what I do, is to wait until the evening when things start to cool and see if the plant is recovering from its wilted state before I water it. If It perks back up I leave it alone, but if it stays wilted after the temp cools then I'll water it. Of course if the plant is severely wilted at any time I'll give it some water. I also wrap white cloth around the pots to help keep them cooler.

Alan

In buckets I use a smaller holes than 1/2" , I use 1/4" or 3/8" holes and a lot of them. I use sheets of newspaper , black & white parts only , folded over several times to line the bottom of the bucket. It's lighter than rocks and cheap . Works for me.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I bury my buckets! In dirt. Don't have to worry about the sides drying out quicker yet the holes in the sides allow the water to drain. Has been working a treat in the GH!

Mike

wordwiz said:
I bury my buckets! In dirt. Don't have to worry about the sides drying out quicker yet the holes in the sides allow the water to drain. Has been working a treat in the GH!

Mike

I like that idea.
A lot.
Where's mah shovel?

Sky,

I'll be curious to see how the roots in my pots look in a couple of months when the toms should be pretty much done for the year! Fill the 7-gallon pot? Growing out the bottom?

I'm using basically the same potting mixture in the GH and for plants upstairs. I have to water the latter every 3-4 days, the ones in the GH every 10 days or so.

Mike

Back