• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Day length & fruiting

Hi
So, do chillis bud, flower and fruit in response to day length shortening at all?
There seems to be an explosion of flowers and pods lately - temps are still low 80s during the day and that looks well set to stay but daylight hours are definitely less!

Peppers are unaffected by day length or light color or even temperature(to an extent). Too warm or cold will cause bud or flower drop but that is about all. The grow and bloom all at the same time.

I would hesitate to say outright "No". In plant and animal science there seems to always be exceptions. There are probably some species and varieties more daylight sensitive than others. Most (all?) species are equatorial in origin after all. I don't know if there is any published research to say yes or no. I have noticed some varieties become much more productive the closer to 12/12 light/dark they are (C. pubescens, Aji Panca(C. chinense), Aji Amarillo(C. baccatum), and Mulatos(C. annuum)), even if daytime temps are still in the 90's. However they are probably much more temperature dependent, within a particular range of daylight hours. Hopefully that makes sense?

I agree with Noah. My plants hit about 6 months old and start producing / keep fruiting for years. Some going on 3 years now. Temps and light may effect size and shape but dat is a hol nutta story :)

Ah ok, so you guys have grown every single variety of every single species :lol: . Cool. Your superhots may do one thing, but that doesn't mean every other of the hundreds of varieties out there respond the same way. Sure it is safe to say that most may not be influenced by day length, but acknowledge that exceptions may occur unless scientifically proven otherwise. I apologize for my attitude, but as a scientist it rubs me the wrong way when I see "absolute" answers without citing a peer reviewed publication to back it up, just hobbyist anecdotes (not that there is anything totally wrong with that, it is still information)). Again, I realize this is a hobbyist forum meant for fun....I'm in the wrong place :scared:

Back