• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Datil Pepper Relish

Say what you want about the relish with trying it first DP but this relish is really the only condiment you would need 'cept for maybe mustard

I grew up with that basic relish on our table and every local seafood restaraunt table, so I don't need to try it again. It is just as good or better with less sugar or no sugar. But your tastebuds may vary.

Understood DP - you being from FL its probably pretty common but going up the East Coast not so. I would love to try it in other areas to compare -- Its like BBQ sauce KC vs Memphis vs Texas vs North Carolina etc...

The NatGreenMeds recipe is the #1 post of this thread.
I used it to make a 3 pint batch last night.
I'd like to let it age a few weeks, but after sharing with a few co-workers at lunch today, I now only have 2 pints remaining....and I don't think those are gonna last very long either.
Their most common comments were..."outstanding & awesome"
I guess it goes without saying ..that we think its a very good recipe.
CM

This stuff was great after I first made it but it's off the chain after a month. I opened a new jar yesterday and the flavors had come together and it's unreal. I've used it mostly on eggs. I like to make mayo biscuits topped with gravy, then layer on about 5 strips of bacon, then 2 eggs over easy, and top with this relish. OMG!!!

Back