• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

corkiness in jalapenos

I've heard that corkiness(netting pattern) on jalapenos is desired in Mexico but not in the U.S. Is there a difference in taste, texture, smell or anything other than visual in these peppers. Is the american market too fussy for what might look like a flawed vegetable. Does anyone know if its genetic or what causes it. I think it adds a lot of character to the jalapeno. Does it happen in other peppers. Got lots of jalapenos corking this year.

I think that the perception is that it is a flawed pepper here in the states. Personaly I love it when they cork. I also prefer to let the jalapenos ripen until red. They are sweeter that way.

They are a much better pepper when red, and the cork on them makes no real difference as far as I can tell. Most of mine do it, just thought that was th enature of the pepper.

The reason the corked jalapenos are more desireable, is because it makes them hotter.

Anyone wonder why jalapenos are so wimpy?

Aside from us, and a friend of ours who makes a commercial jalapeno jelly; nobody up here buys the woody jalapenos. But shhhhhhhhh, if the pepper farmers figure out that they are valuable peppers, they'll raise the price back up!

Back