• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video Cool video showing symbiotic relationships between micro-organisms and plant roots!

I thought this was a pretty cool anmiation.  It portrays the symbiotic interactions that occur between micro flora/fauna and your plant's roots in healthy soil, wherin microbes will provide a plant with varoius nutrients they have essentially mined from the soil in exchange for sugars manufactured by the plant in a sort of bartering system....  Hence the title of the video: Underground Market.   Check it out!

https://vimeo.com/83697133    

Proud Marine Dad said:
Fascinating stuff isn't it? Too bad more people don't grow this way as its so much simpler than force feeding nutrients.
Simpler, and more satisfying as well.

Haven't heard anything on these forums about Jobe's Organics fertilizer. One I use has bacteria, archaea, endo and ectomycorrhizae, and the usual NPK. Anyone else use this? My peppers love it.

I use an organic soil and compost mix. That gives enough nutrients for many weeks. I've tried to introduce endo mycorrhizae (I use a product from TNC called MycorrEndo). I don't fertilize yet, but I've added some bioRoot plus from GHE to stimulate a healthy rhizosphere. I just wanted to clarify, though, that ecto mycorrhizae cannot participate in any symbiotic relation with plants such as chili's. In fact they feed off of endo mycorrhizae and prevents that they establish a strong colony... its detrimental or at best useless for root health.

Darkgreen said:
I use an organic soil and compost mix. That gives enough nutrients for many weeks. I've tried to introduce endo mycorrhizae (I use a product from TNC called MycorrEndo). I don't fertilize yet, but I've added some bioRoot plus from GHE to stimulate a healthy rhizosphere. I just wanted to clarify, though, that ecto mycorrhizae cannot participate in any symbiotic relation with plants such as chili's. In fact they feed off of endo mycorrhizae and prevents that they establish a strong colony... its detrimental or at best useless for root health.
Did not know that!

Thanks, that's interesting. Will have to read up on that.

Back