• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Container Pepper Growers - What Do You Do?

QuadShotz said:
I wonder if my superhots like the ACDC, Metalicca and Ozzy...they sure seem to. ;)

I know mine like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Blind Faith, and Cream, especially Disraeli Gears...

I'm a tightwad. I'm using my old Freshstep catlitter containers with a few nice holes drilled in the bottom. I'm always scrounging around for containers. The old potting soil I had was crap and I'm using Al-Par professional growing mix now. Seems like it's alot looser, but holds the water well. Not to soggy though. I probably water my plants about every 4 or 5 days now. I was overwatering before, but I'm not now. They really honestly don't need to be watered as much as I thought before. For fertilizer I use Jacks Classic 20-20-20 plant food every couple weeks with a tablespoon of Epsom salts mixed in my water. I also crushed up some old egg shells and put them on top of my soil for calcium. My plants seem to be liking that combo. I've got a ton of buds, flowers, and fruit coming in. One of my plants looks really sick because I think it contracted something, but the rest look really good.

AlabamaJack said:
I know mine like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Blind Faith, and Cream, especially Disraeli Gears...

klyth said:
I think plants would like something a little more sexy, something with a little funk rubbed on it.

I'm with AJ, funk would make them far too nervous!

imaguitargod said:
Plants have been proven to not like harsher music, especially metal.

My plants would hate me then, because I love metal!:( Oh well, I guess true love must compromise:lol:

wow did this thread drift or what? :lol:

what we need is some container music... ;)

Steve...I have just realized something...you haven't said yet how you are doing things...answer the questions so we can see what you are doing...k?

imaguitargod said:
Plants have been proven to not like harsher music, especially metal.

Hehe, I saw something that indicated the exact opposite. In fact, it was a myth busters episode, if I remember correctly.

AlabamaJack said:
Steve...I have just realized something...you haven't said yet how you are doing things...answer the questions so we can see what you are doing...k?

I thought that I mentioned what I am doing, but here it is:

1. What soil mixture do you use?

1/3 plain potting soil, 1/3 chesapeake blue soil enhancer, 1/3 sand.

2. How do you account for calcium, nitrogen, and phosphorus needs? Specifically, what do you add, and at what times during the season?

The chesapeake blue has ground up blue crab shells to provide calcium. I began the season using an organic fish emulsion, then switched to Miracle Gro Bloom Booster, but I have stopped fertilizing because I read about nitrogen screwing things up after the plant begins flowering.

3. What is your watering schedule and how much do you water at a given time?

I waiter daily because the soil dries out pretty fast in those black plastic pots.

4. Do you do foliar supplementation with epsom salts or some kind of bloom booster, or anything else?

I have used epsom salts as a foliar spray once, and I used Bloom Booster two or three times as a foliar spray.

5. What other things do you do that might not be obvious, but you attribute this certain something to your overall success?

Not much!

6. Oh yeah, what size and style pots do you use?

3 gallon cheap thin black plastic nursery pots.

you did say that, I was just too lazy to go back and look...sorry...

only thing I would say or recommend is to go get or order a rapitest "multimeter". It measures soil pH, light, moisture, and nutrient level....they are not expensive (~30 bucks as I recall) and well worth it to me...if a plant wilts in the heat, I will check the soil and if it says dry, I water, if the soil is wet I leave it be and watch it because there is some reason the plant is not using the water available...hmmmmm...why...something is stopping up the plumbing of the plant...what I am saying is the plant is sick...MO

I am using a Rapitest 4-Way Analyzer...no batteries and will measure 4" deep in the soil...

Back