• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Composting Indoors

I have a few plants and want to compost indoors. I had an idea that I could break down veggies in a bag after I ran it through the blender and turn the bag every day letting new air in the mix. I added some coffee grounds, orange rind, and some potato roots in the mix and added a handful of garden soil, not used but straight from the bag. Will this method introduce the required bacteria to decompose the stuff down. I am keeping in under a light to keep it warm and get it started.

Here is a picture of what I made.

get-attachmentaspx-4.jpg

When could I put it in my plants pots? I thought about putting it in a big pot and then burying it with fresh soil so it wouldn't smell. Right now it is in a sealed bag and getting warm in the hatchery to see if anything happens.

Thats coooooool-micro composting. What you need now is a micro garden with mini veggies :dance: Get ya a tiny rake and shovel and you just might have the next big thing :)

I have a few plants and want to compost indoors. I had an idea that I could break down veggies in a bag after I ran it through the blender and turn the bag every day letting new air in the mix. I added some coffee grounds, orange rind, and some potato roots in the mix and added a handful of garden soil, not used but straight from the bag. Will this method introduce the required bacteria to decompose the stuff down. I am keeping in under a light to keep it warm and get it started.

Here is a picture of what I made.
When could I put it in my plants pots? Next year I thought about putting it in a big pot and then burying it with fresh soil so it wouldn't smell. Right now it is in a sealed bag and getting warm in the hatchery to see if anything happens.

If that is something you feel strongly about. bury it deep when the roots get to it; if they want it they will take it. personaly it needs to decay more!

SC

I believe I can get it too fully decompose in the bag in 2 weeks not 1 year. I will put it in an adequate heating environment to supply the needed heat for a "hot pile" and then all I have to do is open the bag everyday and spin it a few times.

I believe I can get it too fully decompose in the bag in 2 weeks not 1 year. I will put it in an adequate heating environment to supply the needed heat for a "hot pile" and then all I have to do is open the bag everyday and spin it a few times.

Ok sounds like you got a plan!

Since you are half way there why don't you make a small worm bin? A couple of small totes under the sink would be a great composter! Feed them like you are the bag. When I get my wife over the idea that's what I plan on doing with my daughter......

not sure if you might try some inoculating with some
lactobacillus or acidophillus(sp?)

try putting some yogurt or "cut some cheese" into there

i have some micro orgasms i am fermenting in the bathroom,
more on the porch and some i have in my growing media
some are aerobic and some are anaerobic

try some different culture for your mad scientist fermenterators too
i am having lots of fun with mine

I agree on the worm composting, or try bokashi composting. I just can't see it rotting well in a sealed bag, you'll likely not be encouraging much aerobic bacteria

I agree on the worm composting, or try bokashi composting. I just can't see it rotting well in a sealed bag, you'll likely not be encouraging much aerobic bacteria

A Worm bin is definitely the way to go. I have a trash compactor in the kitchen that I never use so what I do is bag up all my scraps for about a month, then take all the scraps and mix them in a 5 gallon bucket and allow that bucket to sit in the sun for a few days. I add just enough water to make a "mush" and then that goes directly into the worm bin in the garage. The broken down compost gets some soil, shredded paper, and grass clippings added to it and it gets put on the top of my 7 layer bin.

The bin has been going strong for over a year and I have more worms then I need after starting with 1 lb of worms. Basically they eat their way up through the bin. Since the bin includes a good amount of previously used soil when I add a tray the bottom tray is almost always empty as the worms move up and I just use that for my soil with some additions. The soil is deep dark, and full of nutrients and having an ongoing bin also allows me to brew fresh worm tea anytime I need to. The total investment on the bin and worms was about $120

Here is an update on the results of my experiment. The compost worked very well and made enough for my plants (around 10).

Here is a picture of the final product when I took it out of the bag.
0402011225.jpg

and it smells like fresh oranges, and has no rotten smell so I assumed it was done breaking done. All of the orange peel is gone, the you can still see bits of egg shell inside and the coffee grounds look like little particles.

Here is what I got out of washing out the bag with water

0402011222.jpg

and here is what I got after leaching the compost once 1 week before the above pics

0324011318.jpg

Do you think I can just chuck it in my plants pots or is can natural compost hurt the plants? The plants are in a "feeds or 3-4 months" soil so is it necessary? I want to test it out but not kill them because they are growing great!

I put the muck out of the bag in the oven to kill off the worms (there were worms in there because I left it outside, fruit fly maggots to be exact) and dry out the final product. It is in the oven at 300 F and will post a photo when it comes out.

Hey, that's cool...

I tried something similar in a plastic container a while back, but it got moldy so I paniced and threw it out. I'll definitely be trying it again after seeing your experiment! :)

Back