• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Complimentary crops in pepper containers?

Does anyone out there plant anything else in their pepper containers? Something that doesn't feed too heavy, and can utilize some of the "empty" space in their grow containers?

I'm probably speaking of herbs here, but anything you might do would be interesting to here. I'm all in favor of maximizing space, if possible.

I have a co-worker who does this with mint. They seem to complement quite nicely.
I grow in pots, so I haven't done it myself.

Spork said:
I have a co-worker who does this with mint. They seem to complement quite nicely.
I grow in pots, so I haven't done it myself.
I was actually referring to pots when I said "containers". I'm wondering if there is a way for an herb to work well in a pepper pot. I'm a big believer in pruning to maximize growth, so at some point, there is going to be some open real estate under an established pepper plant. Even perhaps planting slightly off center to accommodate?

I'm going to try to basil and cilantro in my bigger pots and raised beds. I heard basil is a good aphid deterrent, and one can never have enough cilantro on hand. Since both of these varieties "bolt" rather quickly, I'll be pulling/cutting/reseeding them back before they get too big.

Flowers to attract pollinating insects. Also pyrethrum flower or what ever they're called. Great for keeping aphids and thrip away naturally.

hottoddy said:
I'm going to try to basil and cilantro in my bigger pots and raised beds. I heard basil is a good aphid deterrent, and one can never have enough cilantro on hand. Since both of these varieties "bolt" rather quickly, I'll be pulling/cutting/reseeding them back before they get too big.
You can buy non-GMO varieties of cilantro that have been developed so as not to bolt. I came across some organic cilantro seed (at an Ace hardware) that was non-bolting. In fact, I was planning on picking some up.

Gotrox said:
French marigolds--the stinky ones--- are the bug repellents.
American Marigolds don't work.
The French Marigolds work, and so do the African ones. But the Africans get HUGE.

They are super effective for repelling whiteflies.

Trailing nasturtiums might be a good choice. They deter whiteflies and are a trap for aphids. Their vining form won't crowd your pepper plants as much as other, upright plants might. Plus, they taste great in salads and the flowers attract pollinators.

Pinoy83 said:
this is mine lemon basil with pepper

dash 2 said:
Trailing nasturtiums might be a good choice. They deter whiteflies and are a trap for aphids. Their vining form won't crowd your pepper plants as much as other, upright plants might. Plus, they taste great in salads and the flowers attract pollinators.
Both really great ideas. Thanks for that! Keep them coming...

Back