• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Chocolate sauce

I was wondering if anyone has made a sauce with chocolate added in and if so how do you melt it in?

I want to make the sauce for desserts and I was thinking of using:

mangoes
Ooranges
Dark chocolate
Little bit of mint
A banana to help thicken the sauce
Lime and or apple cider vinegar
Dorsets, fatalii's or choc bhuts
Maybe a liqueur of some form

Any idea's, should I just break the chocolate into bits and slowly mix them into the sauce as I'm cooking?

What else would you add or remove?

:onfire: Cheers all

Heres a base you could start with Tim;
Chocolate Sauce
•Melt in saucepan over hot water
•1 square unsweetened chocolate, add
•1 tablespoon butter and very slowly
•1/3 cup boiling water. Bring to boiling point, add
•1 cup sugar and
•2 tablespoons corn syrup. Boil 5 minutes, or until of desired consistency, which is best determined by testing on ice cream. Cool and add
•½ teaspoon vanilla and a
•Few grains salt. Serve hot or cold

or another one;
A quick and easy chocolate hot fudge sauce recipe.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
•1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
•1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
•3/4 cup cocoa
•1/4 cup all-purpose flour
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 can (14 ounces) evaporated milk
•1 cup water
•2 tablespoons butter
•2 teaspoons vanilla
Preparation:
Combine sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt in saucepan. Add milk, water, and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boiling. Cook 5 minutes longer. Remove hot fudge sauce from heat, cool, then stir in vanilla.

I would just start by melting chocolate (70% cocoa is a minimum to cook anything decent with) in microwave or pan. Tempering it to make it shiny (just add an unmelted new piece of chocolate). And start from there. Tasting your way around it.

If you thin the chocolate out too much with liquids you might need an emulgator to bind it back together again. This can be e.g. the yellow of an egg to which you gradually add the cool liquid while whisking/mixing the egg (can be done in blender, but then you don't need to trickle the liquid in, just large amounts, maybe even everything at once). Keep regrigerated and consume within a week.

Chocolate goes really well with peppers. The maya's already made a spicy, hot and bitter version of chocolate milk a couple of thousands of years ago.

In don't want to go off topic or so, but for your chocolate sause you can easily steal recipe ideas from these hot chocolate recipe's, mostly the spice blends.

I have a famous (with my friends and family, because it's a rare but delicous treat) hot chocolate recipe made with whey from making clarified butter (or ghee like they call it in India). I make clarified butter for the baking of fish and meat since you can heat the crap out of it and it will not burn like butter does, still it tastes like butter and not like oil or baking margarine.

Make the clarified butter: put a pack of unsalted butter in a sausepan in a very low oven (it cannot become brown = "beurre noisette", nor burn). Wait till it melts. Skimm the foam of the top and discard. You'll notice that the butter has split in ghee or clarified butter and whey. Pour the clarified butter in a mold an move to the fridge to set. Keep the whey for the next recipe.

Whey hot chocolate ;) : In the pan with the whey add 1 Naga Morich (or half if you want the family to enjoy it as well). The whey will still contain a little bit of fat so the capsaicin will be firm throughout the entire drink, but not too unbearable. You can really spice this drink up a lot. Add to the whey as much pure cacao powder as you want (this thickens the liquid either to sauce or hot chocolate consistency or you can thicken partly with cocoa powder partly with eggs, you choice). Crush and add the spices you want to add (this I vary a lot, can be a mix from: clove, cardamom, nutmeg, a few grains of salt, sugar, honey, vanilla pod scrapings, cinnamon, zest of some citrus fruit, black peppercorns, anise star, aniseed, fennel seeds, ginger, coriander seed, ... anything you like really).

Maybe some more ideas down here:
http://www.pachakam.com/recipe.asp?id=3919&RecipeName=Spicy Mayan Chocolate Drink , http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/HotChocolate.htm , http://car.utsa.edu/Legacy/mayarecipes.htm (2nd recipe on this page) , http://www.yucatanadventure.com.mx/cookingrecipes.htm (scroll down a bit to their chocolate section)

Just some ideas really... you can take it anywhere you like. Hope you got something to work with now. And let us know how it went ;)

When i made Black Dog I just melted a bunch of 70% cocoa dark chocolate with a little farm butter in a saucepan over some boiling water. When it got runny enough I mixed it in with my chilli vinegar well under pH mix - worked out really nicely.

There's not much need to temper the chocolate if it's going to be in a sauce. Tempered chocolate is for the gloss and snap of eating choc.
I've found the best way of melting choc is in a bain marie(double boiler). i.e. a bowl that fits snugly in a pot. Bring the water to a simmer. Make sure NO water gets in the bowl or on the choc or on any utensils.

You are going to have to experiment with the balance of bitter, sweet, sour and heat. Maybe small test batches just blended together and taste.

I wouldn't add banana to the mix as it's difficult to control oxidisation and cooked banana imo tastes like shyte. There was a thread very recently about thickeners. Also orange juice and chocolate don't mix well. Try the zest instead.

Deathtosnails said:
There's not much need to temper the chocolate if it's going to be in a sauce. Tempered chocolate is for the gloss and snap of eating choc.
Depends what you call chocolate sauce. Where I live chocolate sause is just molten chocolate, maybe a little bit of cream and/or butter added :) Then you temper. If your going to add heaps of other stuff like liquids... of course than it makes no difference.
Deathtosnails said:
I've found the best way of melting choc is in a bain marie(double boiler). i.e. a bowl that fits snugly in a pot. Bring the water to a simmer. Make sure NO water gets in the bowl or on the choc or on any utensils.
I used to do that too, but then a 2* chef (yep as in michelin) told me that he just uses the microwave and since then I haven't bothered with the bain marie any more (I don't like doing dishes). Just do 2 mins max, and less if you use small quantities. Don't overdo it because as I've recently found out: it's possible to burn it (a large piece of charcoal formed in the middle of the bowl, rest of the chocolate wasn't affected too much taste-wise).

Hey all,

I decided that my first sauce for the year wouldn't be a total experiment, so I didn't add the chocolate this time round.I'll give it a go before the end of the season still.

Heres what I ended up with
fataliimangosauce.jpg

Mango, limes, red wine vinegar, orange rind , 10 fatalii's, vanilla, cinnamon and some brown sugar.

So far I've tried it with icecream which worked really well and also with some cheese. Turned out real hot but the limes are a bit strong at this point but I think that will settle.

:)

It took a while but here it is

bottles001.jpg

Raspberries, banana's, choc syrup, white wine vinegar, vanilla and choc bhut's.

Does anyone have idea's on how to get a good ph without giving the sauce a tang? I used white wine vin at around 20% but it really screwed the taste of the sauce. I ended up using a fair amount of vanilla to cover it up.

mmmmm icecream

Timmmy newbie said:
It took a while but here it is

bottles001.jpg

Raspberries, banana's, choc syrup, white wine vinegar, vanilla and choc bhut's.

Does anyone have idea's on how to get a good ph without giving the sauce a tang? I used white wine vin at around 20% but it really screwed the taste of the sauce. I ended up using a fair amount of vanilla to cover it up.

mmmmm icecream

Try Raspberry wine vinegar instead.

I'm not sure if I'm right Timmy but Chocolate has a low acidic ph reading, also raspberry and bananas, so perhaps you needn't add the vinegar, maybe just some lemon or orange juice (maybe fresh orange peel) and perhaps brown sugar, then ph test yourself???
.... maybe also add some Rum???? alcohol is low ph also

Mmmmmmm rum my fav

I have to admit I don't have the ph tester, I have been making sauces then going down to Hippy's afterwards and using his to test the final product, which is a rather backwards approach lol

Will have to test this batch then go from there for now. Thanks for the great advice I will be using it :)

The two banana's have really thickened up the sauce, it should work well on a desert.

Next time I'll go the 70% coca choc and melt that in. This sauce nearly tastes like its from Macdonalds lol a bit fake lol but for some reason I want more lol

sauce looks great Timmy! hmmm... i actually like the mcdonalds choc sauce.. if you heat it up before you put it on some ice cream you can have your own special sunday!

Back