• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chiletepin reccomendations

I have a Chiletepin Plant that I planted last year but it didn’t even flower. It survived all the winter frosts and has turned out to be a nice big bushy plant this year with lots of flowers and lots of tiny green peppers forming. It seems to be unattractive to critters so far and able to handle full sun all day. I would like to experiment further with this type of Chiles as it seems suited to my climate. Has anyone got any recommendations for particular varieties to try and what’s the heat like?

tepin is similar but hotter real good for pepper vinegars. prik ki nu swan , i'm not sure if i spelled it right but it means mouse poop. theres african bird peppers they are all very similar and not to hard to find. the one thing is they are inconsistant with heat. you eat one and it has very little heat then you try the pepper next to it and bang! it hurts. all these strains require very little care as well. enjoy.

I have grown lots of tepins and they are quite similar. Plant habit changes some, but taste/picante is quite similar. I favor McMahon's bird pepper because the plant is small and prolific.

I love Tepins too. I air dry them and snack on them dried. I like to mix them in with oriental snack mix. Makes for a nice surprise. Mine seem to change really quick. I guess that is normal. Will have 10-20 that are blackish green one day the bam full red the next.

tepin_3.jpg
Thanks for the advice. I hope to try out some of those suggested Peppers next year.

Do these things ever turn red ? it seems like I have got a green variety :)

Seriously..How long do they typically take to ripen ?

Back