• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse check out this greenhouse!

salsalady

eXtreme Business
We're doing some electrical work on a green house that a contractor friend of our is building. Much of the material has been salvaged, all the doors and windows came from a remodel job, and he's done most the building and fabricating himself.

19d9a28b.jpg

6fbbc439.jpg

to be continued-

The electrical panel and some controls and a heater in one corner-
66071a94.jpg

A controller for lights, pumps, CO2 generator, exhaust fans-
ff7360ac.jpg

CO2 maker-
55eaf683.jpg

an exhaust fan on one end that will operate with a set of louvers at the other end, controlled by the box in the corner. The flat bracket is a custom welded bracket to hang a ceiling paddle fan on, just to move air around. and part of a light.
16dad8a7.jpg

more ceiling stuff- 2 lights with set up for more, 2 paddle fans, a mister/humidifier will be at one end, the exhaust fan/louvers,
ef79dcc2.jpg

custom build metal planting beds run around the perimeter of the building-
bce5d58e.jpg

b93f27d7.jpg

e38d9cda.jpg

inside the planting troughs, a ledge for metal grating and the hole in the bottom for heat from a wood stove.
43156f26.jpg

Eventually the plan is to have a wood stove with an electric fan set up to pump heat from the wood stove through pipes set in the bottom of the troughs, to heat the plants in the winter. The building is fully insulated on the walls. He'll also make a heated, poured concrete germination table and part of the floor will be concrete with heat cables in the concrete also.

He also plans to have several planter boxes mounted up on the wall with hanging "things" in them. I think he mostly plans to grow edibles and wants to be able to grow fresh food all throughout the winter, which in his area usually entails about 5 feet of snow.

Anyway, I did ask permission to take pictures and post. Hopefully we'll be able to get pics of the finished house and be able to show it filled with sprouts and plants. He did mention his wife is getting tired of the plant trays germinating in the basement. :cool:

And to top it off, he's a chilehead! :woohoo:

Redtail- we'll travel and work anywhere, and I'm sure we could get the builder to travel also....for the right price! :lol:

QQ- it's just regular fir stained and sealed. The lower windows are operable, but not automated. The exhaust fan up at the peak on one end works in conjunction with a set of louvers on the other end of the building. They are controlled by control box in the corner.

It has a full sliding glass door on one end, a full size set of glass french doors on the other end and a full glass door on the side.

The full list of features (that I know of, or until he adds some more :lol: ) are-
exhaust fan/louver
water/irrigation pump
2 light circuits
CO2 unit
(all above controlled by unit in corner)
2 ceiling paddle fans with lights both operating together with variable speed fan control with timer override for both fans and a separate light control for both lights
2 ceiling mounted electric heaters
wood stove
heated germination table
heated concrete slab floor over about 1/3 of the area
water storage tanks

The water is still an issue as it's not plumbed in a way that will work in the winter so he's looking at using water barrels for not. The pipes are too shallow and would freeze if not drained for the winter. That might have to be his next year's project.

This builder is very talented as you can see. He's build some really gorgeous homes. As far as I know, he's done everything on the greenhouse from the concrete footings to framing to fab-ing up the steel brackets for the ceiling fans, lights and heaters to all the steel work on the planter boxes.

These pics are a couple weeks old, finally getting caught up on the photobucket uploads.

The interior, all tidied up-
8ed96c95.jpg

And a view down inside the planting troughs-
2bbdce7b.jpg

They already have veggies started and we dropped off some chile starts as a "greenhouse warming" gift. :lol:

He told me he ordered some habanero seeds from a ...um...(largeretailnurserysitewho'snameiswhathappenswhenyou drinksodafast)... and I just shook my head and said, "man, all ya had to do was ask!" More seeds on the way to him tomorrow, including some heirloom NM chiles. (THANKS, chileaddict! I'm sharing with a few who will appreciate them!)

More pics of the GH in full production, including some chiles! (if you can find them in the gorgeous green jungle~)
92ad420b.jpg

10a47bfd.jpg

af43d6c9.jpg

I was asked to ID this mystery pepper we gave to him. It's the small plant to the right of the tall plant. I couldn't begin to guess until pods start, but anyone else care to guess?
50cfd57a.jpg

That is one awesome set-up ... only thing missing is a bed and bathroom/kitchen facilities :woohoo:

:lol: that's right, Trippa. A person could live in there just fine.

Beautiful setup. Is that some kind of polycarbonate roof material?

Hey, welcome Newtune.
Yes, it's some kind of plastic. Not the full-on wavy stuff that people use over patios, but it is a ribbed material. One of the first photos shows the roof fairly well. I don't know the thickness, but it would have to be fairly stout as that location gets snow dumps of up to 2' at a time.

Back