Charcoal vs Gas, what do you use?

Lump charcoal or hardwood briquettes are good but mormal charcoal sucks. Never use the stuff with lighter fluid mixed in. Actually don't use lighter fluid or starters at al, instead use a 'chimney' or electric starter. I'm starting to use more wood for smoking.

Outdoor gas bbq's rarely have the heat neccessay to grill properly, instead the lid must be closed to bbq or somewhat 'bake' the food. If I have the time I usually prefer to smoke with charcoal and woodchips

I agree with Potawie!!!!!

Never use regular charcoal (too many impurities and chemicals in it). Use lump charcoal and NEVER use lighter fluid. Use a charcoal starter chimney. The chimney works extremely well.

mikeyinokc said:
I agree with Potawie!!!!!

Never use regular charcoal (too many impurities and chemicals in it). Use lump charcoal and NEVER use lighter fluid. Use a charcoal starter chimney. The chimney works extremely well.

That's the way we do it here at Hell's half acre.

Lump coal makes all the difference in flavor!

Me personally I only use wood and occaisionally lump charcoal if Im doing something small. I have heard from alot of people who use gas the excuse that "I don't have time to wait for charcoal" Well I was taught that BBQ, is something to be enjoyed with family & friends. I dont want to speed up that time, and besides once you have had the finished product from cooking low & slow, you will never want to rush it again! Just my 2cents.....

BigNugg said:
Well I was taught that BBQ, is something to be enjoyed with family & friends. I dont want to speed up that time, and besides once you have had the finished product from cooking low & slow, you will never want to rush it again! Just my 2cents.....
Bingo! That's the difference between cooking and grilling.

BigNugg said:
Me personally I only use wood and occaisionally lump charcoal if Im doing something small. I have heard from alot of people who use gas the excuse that "I don't have time to wait for charcoal" Well I was taught that BBQ, is something to be enjoyed with family & friends. I dont want to speed up that time, and besides once you have had the finished product from cooking low & slow, you will never want to rush it again! Just my 2cents.....

This is so true -- I have my neighborhood switching to charcoal.
They smell the hickory or mesquite and come rolling in with their coolers to hang out for awhile and possibly being invited to dinner:lol:

I actually sold my gasser after cooking with charcoal/lump for a while. It's common to hear "yeah, but the gasser is great for quick things like steaks and burgers" to which I respond... So is my Smokey Joe (the little one). I've got a WSM smoker, 22.5 One Touch Gold, and the Smokey Joe Gold. so versatile, and if you do it right, you can get em wicked HOT!

I grill 3-4 time a week, and BBQ/smoke every other weekend or so.

i would much rather use charcoal but we just got a gas grill and it is nice when you don't feel like doing much or waiting long. the flavor just isn't as good.

I use charcoal, it's like it's part of the ritual and gives me somewhat of a sense of satisfaction to get the coals burning well.

GreenHot said:
I use charcoal, it's like it's part of the ritual and gives me somewhat of a sense of satisfaction to get the coals burning well.

definetly! once i smell that charcoal going..it just makes me want to crack open a nice cool beer while i wait for some great (hopefully) food. :lol:

I go both ways.....

(waits for rude comments)

I use charcoal and gas depending on time available, items being cooked and desired end result.

Since Thanksgiving is coming up, allow me to say I never cook a turkey in the gas grill, always skoked in the Weber kettle.

Guys, help me out here:

Smoking to me implies charcoal or something which makes... well... smoke.
If I put them in the oven on 250 degrees or something, do I end up with smoked peppers, just not smokey flavour?

Yep... Right... and that's not the same thing, then? I saw gas BBQ as pretty much the same as the oven effect, you know?

The aim of the game, as I see it, it to get mushy peppers that you can liquidise easily, so cooked peppers (provided they're still squishy) would qualify.

Um...

I've missed the point, haven't I?

If you want to roast peppers in an oven try at least 350-400º. The skin should show a little charring.

Yes, smoking requires smoke and lots of it. It's a slow process where low heat is used and smoke flavors the food.

Grilling is simply cooking food over a grill; usually a direct heat source whether gas, charcoal or wood.

By all means use REAL charcoal!!! Try to use chunk or lump charcoal not the lil briquetes. When they make the briquetes they use a glue that contains traces of arsanic and the lump charcoal adds a way better flavor. I try to use all oak but I have used mixed hardwood with great results. Then if you want more smoke take chunks of your favorite wood, soak it in water for about an hour and place it on top of the hot coals and stand by for smoke!!!

Back