cutlery ceramic knives

I'm a steel guy when it comes to knives and prefer the Japanese over the German steel knives. I have both but the Japanese is harder steel and thinner blades. I prefer the thicker German knives for meat. But the most important thing is if you like the knife you are using then that is a good thing whether its ceramic or steel. Here is a pic of my paring knives.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53049-on-cutlery/?p=1118252

SavinaRed said:
I'm a steel guy when it comes to knives ...

Of course you are - it's been almost the only available material for centuries! LOL

I, too, love my steel super-sharps. But I was curious about the ceramic and, given that they're now available at prices that don't put them out of reach of the average person, and also super-sharp, I wanted to try them out. i now see them much like one sees saws and hammers - different tools for different jobs.  

Seriously - check this out - back in 2009 did anyone think they could get a ceramic knife for under $20?

What I really want to hear is other people's thoughts after giving ceramic a try. There are other threads, like Grant's excellent cutlery thread, where steel is already discussed. I'm not trying to overshadow Grant's thread, but discuss ceramic specifically here.

There is no way I would waste money on Ceramic knives. I am a knife fanatic and I still wouldn't.
There is absolutely no doubt that an edge on ceramic is the sharpest in the world next to Obsidian, but for home use they are rediculous. If I were a Sushi chef, that is all I would own but for everyday practicality, no way.

My 2¢.

Edit: WHAAAAT a post from 2009?!?! huh.

geeme said:

Of course you are - it's been almost the only available material for centuries! LOL

I, too, love my steel super-sharps. But I was curious about the ceramic and, given that they're now available at prices that don't put them out of reach of the average person, and also super-sharp, I wanted to try them out. i now see them much like one sees saws and hammers - different tools for different jobs.  

Seriously - check this out - back in 2009 did anyone think they could get a ceramic knife for under $20?

What I really want to hear is other people's thoughts after giving ceramic a try. There are other threads, like Grant's excellent cutlery thread, where steel is already discussed. I'm not trying to overshadow Grant's thread, but discuss ceramic specifically here.
What brand of ceramics do you thing are decent ? I might try out a paring knife as I kind of collect them lol.

I picked up the Farberware at my local grocery store, and that's all I've tried at this point, other than those super-expensive ones I tried at the food show years ago. I'd actually say the Farber ware have been just as good.

And, yes, you do have a nice collection of paring knives there!

grantmichaels said:
i see the ceramics and are drawn to them, but someone here is hard on knives, lol ...
I get it - I told my son he shouldn't even look at them, let alone touch them. But that's not entirely true, as I've let him use them when I was in the kitchen, too. If your curiosity gets up there enough to give one a try, get a paring knife. Even if it gets broken fairly quickly, you won't be out much more than the price of a movie ticket.

Scoville DeVille said:
There is no way I would waste money on Ceramic knives. I am a knife fanatic and I still wouldn't.
There is absolutely no doubt that an edge on ceramic is the sharpest in the world next to Obsidian, but for home use they are rediculous. If I were a Sushi chef, that is all I would own but for everyday practicality, no way.
My 2¢.

Edit: WHAAAAT a post from 2009?!?! huh.
You know what they say - one man's trash is another's treasure. They're only a waste if they can't either be used for the intended purpose or be "repurposed" for another use. I am very happy with my purchases. 

And yeah, no need to start another thread - the title on this one is exactly what I looked for. The search function is very useful!  :P

I was given a few for x-mas and I think I ended up recycling them..lol what are you using the ceramic for that a steel blade wouldn't work for?

You'll note I did not say that a steel blade wouldn't work. Not at all. But I'll use a little different comparison to illustrate. You can mix ingredients to make, let's say peanut butter cookie dough, with a spoon. The spoon works, no doubt about it. Alternately, you can use a hand mixer, which also works. Or, you can use a stand mixer, which also works. Some people are happy using a spoon. Some are happy with a hand mixer. Others won't use anything but a stand mixer. Still others swap between mixing implements depending upon how heavy-duty a mixing job needs to be done. Similarly, I find myself reaching for the ceramic for some uses and steel for others.

FreeportBum said:
I was given a few for x-mas and I think I ended up recycling them..lol what are you using the ceramic for that a steel blade wouldn't work for?

the #1 reason I would buy one would be to be able to peel off citrus zest in larger pieces that can be more easily filtered ...

i would say a distant #2 would be possibly for thinly sliced shallot for pan burgers ...

grantmichaels said:
the #1 reason I would buy one would be to be able to peel off citrus zest in larger pieces that can be more easily filtered ...

i would say a distant #2 would be possibly for thinly sliced shallot for pan burgers ...
lol
geeme said:
You'll note I did not say that a steel blade wouldn't work. Not at all. But I'll use a little different comparison to illustrate. You can mix ingredients to make, let's say peanut butter cookie dough, with a spoon. The spoon works, no doubt about it. Alternately, you can use a hand mixer, which also works. Or, you can use a stand mixer, which also works. Some people are happy using a spoon. Some are happy with a hand mixer. Others won't use anything but a stand mixer. Still others swap between mixing implements depending upon how heavy-duty a mixing job needs to be done. Similarly, I find myself reaching for the ceramic for some uses and steel for others.
So what do you find yourself reaching for the ceramic for over steel?

FreeportBum said:
So what do you find yourself reaching for the ceramic for over steel?

I've only had one (now two) for a bit over a month. I find myself using ceramic for veggies and fruit all the time now, whether slicing or paring. I've pretty much retired my swivel-head peeler now. Let's take an acorn (hard) squash. I'd peel it with ceramic, but if I wanted to chop it in half I'd use steel. I may well then go back to ceramic, depending on how I wanted the sections cut up.

I've been thinking that some of the preference may have to do with hand size and/or strength. While not short, I have a rather petite build. My ring finger takes only a size 5 ring, which is usually classed as child-sized. I can see where that might play into it for me.

I dunno those ceramic knives are pretty sexy. I have never used one, but would like to get one.  

These extraordinary Ceramic Knives are made of Zirconia Ceramics. The material is sintered at a temperature of 1.500°C and at a pressure of up to 20.000 t/m2 (Hot Isostatic Pressing Process). The result is the KYOTOP Series in Sandgarden-Style.

kyotop_chefs.jpg

https://www.swiss-knife.com/en/kyotop-sandgarden-series-chef-s-knife.html

Back