• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CCErnst's 2012

I've started this year off pretty strong so far. Winter has been unusually warm for Kansas City, I started a bit early on the first of Feb.

Seeds were started in 3 small makup jars, cleaned out and filled with moistened toilet paper. Took a steak knife and made troughs in the paper. Seeds were put in and TP put on top. Jars were put on a heat pad and heated to 80F. I hadded two more containers using smaller cat food containers (aluminum bottom, plastic lid). One was TP with troughs, the other I made the TP smooth, laid the seeds on top, then used one of my wife's makup removal cotton pads (circular and just smaller than the cat food container).
Seeds I started with were Santaka, VBA Jalapeno (family favorite strain), Poblano, Bell Pepper, Chiltepin, Toluca Red, and "Casper". So far Santaka, VBA, and Toluca all have 100% germination rates. Casper seeds were purchased from University of New Mexico's pepper program as Bhut Jalokia, a.k.a. Ghost Pepper, more or less as a prank for dad. he grew them, but they had no heat whatsoever and had the most amazing taste. We now call them Caspers....the friendly ghost.

As the seed roots started coming out, I'd transfer them to used Kiureg cups, which already had a hole punched in the bottom. Miracle Grow Seed Starting Mix was used as medium. initially cups were put in tupperware bins to keep them watered, but then the wife found out...so now I use a jiffy tray. Interesting thing, the jiffy tray works perfect for the Kiureg cups...an exact fit.

Since they have started to pop up, I went out and started planning my grow lights. Picked up some 15w daylight GE CFLs and some socket to 2 prong adapters. The idea is to use a power strip for my bulbs, which would be light enough to make an easy stand or hang it in a box. For now I just have a treble light with one of the bulbs in it for the first few seedlings.

8 x VBAs
11 x Santaka
8 x Toluca
1 x Chiltepin
2 x Bell
0 x Poblano

Minus Image Folder:
http://min.us/mbcUQymXYv#1

iWsyl9T3cNxN6.jpg

ibfP94pqt7yV8G.jpg

Couple of quick pics of some of my favorites:

Chiltepin
iKoCg1jiEvEgm.jpg

"Toluca Red" that was the 3-leaf start from earlier. It has a super thick stalk and split early.
jVW6yGeLsUz5Z_xl.jpg

Going to start hardening off this weekend.

I've noticed that some of my tomato plants have white splotches on them. Don't think it is over-watering, I water the dixie cups about once a week from the bottom. one place said sunburn...but my grow lights are two 6.5k 13W CFL and and two 5k CFL 13W. Some pepper leaves are yellowing towards the bottom of the stalk.

That garden bed looks great; should make a great pepper patch!
I wouldn't worry about a few lower leaves turning yellow or fading.
The plant puts it's energy towards growth, not maintenance, so
after they get to the point I can't stand it, I cut them off. the plant
will drop them sooner or later anyway since they are not functional.

Have fun getting your plants in the ground!

Back