• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capturing second year crosses growing process

Last year I grew a few accidental crosses, so putting this grow log together to capture the second year variations when they come in.

One was a Habanero x Wild Colombian, which is the center right column in the picture below. These were somewhat fleshy, but very juicy, often containing so much water the skins would rip and burst if left on the plant too long. They had the flavor of a Habanero, but more heat and a much longer burn duration, but very tolerable. When they started to ripen they'd take only a couple days to fully ripen. These made a really good hot sauce, or as a modifier to heat up dishes without using a lot of pods. These unfortunately did not dehydrate well, becoming almost like a dehydrated apple, so they didn't make good flakes.

Second was a Reaper x Wild Colombian, and it's the center left column in the picture. They have a somewhat Reaper appearance, but with the Colombian "belly button" end instead of the Reaper tails. They were small, often smaller than a US quarter, and usually had less than 5 seeds per pod. These are ridiculously hot, and are the only pepper I actually don't like eating. The burn is long, upwards of 20 minutes from a single bite. They are also very juicy, but more on the oily side which makes it difficult to eat without it coating your whole mouth with an instant burn sensation. I've planted about 15 of these this year, so I'm excited to see what F2 ends up like.

Both of these are accidental and I did nothing to control the crossing/pollination. In the picture from left two right (top and bottom are the same for all), Carolina Reapers, Reaper x Colombian, Habanero x Colombian, and Caribbean Red Habanero.

IMG_20240309_163404.jpg

Oh, I'm excitrd with you then, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing all those variations created by ourselves hanging there in grear amounts! :drooling:

Have a prolific and interesting season!

First peppers are sprouting from pod 22. I numbered all the pods so I know which plants theoretically should be the same. These have a smoother texture and are missing the small point at the end that last year's peppers had, but they still have a ways to go before ripe. These might end up looking like the Habanero hybrids more than the reaper. I also have no idea what these crossed with. They were surrounded by half a dozen other plants. Another 22 plant has some really purple pollen, it's hard to capture the depth of the color in a picture.

20240412_160133_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240412_181818.jpg

Accidental crossings are always a lot of fun! However, always evaluate the remote possibility that the original parental seeds were already from open pollinated plants, and that there is always some variability in shapes and spiciness between plants, and differences in phenotype due to environmental conditions. In any case, the F2 generation will be able to tell you more! 🙂 Good luck with your project :dance:

Very interesting. Good luck with your grow this season.

Back