cloning Cappy pruning and cloning 2014

Pepper Ridge Farm said:

This thread is about keeping what strains we already have pure not making new ones Garrett so I hope not but I do endorse the Bubblegum 7 as it is a scorching hot pepper with great flavor.  It is also my understanding it's a cross of both a red and yellow 7 pod so that is very cool to me, just don't understand where the large calyx comes from or why it also turns red, super cool and interesting trait by itself.  I swear it has a bubble gum flavor you taste right before it lights you up. Great to see so many warm faces and I haven't forgotten any names good to be back.

thank god.

Great having you back Cappy, when I first found this forum it was because of a link you had. You have also always shared your growing knowledge freely with all on here.

First round of cloning peppers was much tougher than cloning tomatoes.  I also don't think I picked the easiest variety to clone a semi wild Cumari do Para.  The one clone I did do of a Yellow 7 is still drooping badly but looks to be still alive.  Back to the drawing board and off to the hydroshop before starting round two.  One thing I didn't have was a large dome to cover the clones.  Most of the cumari dried up and stem shriveled before any chance of rooting.  We are now on alert for the first tropical storm of the year Arthur.  Just in time for the July 4 weekend and any plans we might have had about fishing.  Doesn't looks to be too big of a storm and all models keep it offshore so just a rain event.  Took the opportunity to harvest some pods and clean up the plants a bit and give them some food.  Already have had 30 plus days in the 90's and July and August yet to come much hotter than usual.  Some pods went in the dehydrator for fresh powder but most straight to the freezer for sauce.  These early pods are nice this year as most pepper production happens in the fall.

Love the cloning idea as well... will have to try that out next time..its my first year so still building my pepper empire8-)

Hope more of the cuttings take, great plan to preserve good strains.
If it's of any help, I've had better luck initially starting in water. Also make sure the cutting has been made right at a node where the meristem cells will more readily convert to roots.

[edit] forgot to mention that I'd pinch off the flower buds too, they take priority away from rooting.

Happy July 4th America! Beautiful day here now that the storm has passed us so did some quick yard work to clean up and take some pics before heading back down to the boat.  The plants all look very healthy and pods are still forming daily even in the searing heat.  The hp22b plant is huge and has hundreds of pods that are on the smaller size and similar to another 7 I know.  Another pretty pod that I have been growing for years is the Cappy's Douglah, it's thumb size and shape has a earthy nutty brown flavor.  The plant has different looking leaves than other C. Chinense I grow in that they are wavy on the edges almost serrated.  Very nice Trinidadian plant and super hot pods this is a keeper.  Have a great 4th of July everyone!!!

Carolina Reaper

Cappy's Douglah

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Happy July 4th America! Beautiful day here now that the storm has passed us so did some quick yard work to clean up and take some pics before heading back down to the boat.  The plants all look very healthy and pods are still forming daily even in the searing heat.  The hp22b plant is huge and has hundreds of pods that are on the smaller size and similar to another 7 I know.  Another pretty pod that I have been growing for years is the Cappy's Douglah, it's thumb size and shape has a earthy nutty brown flavor.  The plant has different looking leaves than other C. Chinense I grow in that they are wavy on the edges almost serrated.  Very nice Trinidadian plant and super hot pods this is a keeper.  Have a great 4th of July everyone!!!

Carolina Reaper

Cappy's Douglah
Long reaper :surprised:

The day are getting very hot in to the mid 90's everyday so pollination has slowed a bit but plants still are covered in unripe peppers.  Got out in the garden early this morning and grabbed a pizza box full of peppers before the heat set in.  There are Brains, Douglah, Bubblegum, Rennie, Reaper, and Scorpions.  Most are going in the freezer for sauces later, other will be picked for seed and then put in the dehydrator.  I have a few boxes that I have promised people and those will be sent out today also.  I have been working my tolerance back up to an acceptable level trying to eat a pepper with every meal and it is getting better but was a rough go at first.  I enjoy having an omelette in the morning with sautéed pepper, and for lunch I like to mix a little hot sauce and mayo then spread on my bread for deli sandwiches.   Cloning peppers it's a real pain and I just might stick with cloning other plants that don't take forever to root.  Thanks again for any comments you might share.

Brain Strain

Douglah

Bubblegum

Reaper

Great idea for the future purity of some great varieties ... and great to have you back about the forums with killer pod shots!! Cheers

Nice to see you back, PRF. The plants and pods look awesome. Hope the cloning starts to get easier for you!

Back