• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Can I replace Peat Moss with Coconut peat???

Zonengorg said:
Thanks for the info. I Got a question: Can I replace Peat Moss with Coconut peat???

Sorry, I have no experience with coco peat, or more popularly called coco coir, but would assume very similar to peat moss and can be used interchangeably. Anyone?

Zonengorg said:
Thanks for the info. I Got a question: Can I replace Peat Moss with Coconut peat???

This is a question that should be in its own thread.

The answer is yes and no.  Yes, you can use it instead of peat, but there are some things to know.  If you use coconut coir, you don't need to use dolomitic lime to adjust PH.  But you will need to pre-charge it with calcium.  And you'll need to give it a little extra calcium more often. 

Also, highly recommend that any mix you make with coco that is meant to be used like soil - amend it with 20% compost and 30% perlite.  If you don't do that, then you will want to stick to liquid nutrients.

Coco coir doesn't compact like peat does, and it's re-useable for longer.  Good stuff, if you can get it cheap. If you live somewhere that produces it, chances are, you have easier access to coco, than peat.  Half of the world grows in coco as a growing medium, as opposed to peat, so you most certainly can use it.

solid7 said:

This is a question that should be in its own thread.

The answer is yes and no.  Yes, you can use it instead of peat, but there are some things to know.  If you use coconut coir, you don't need to use dolomitic lime to adjust PH.  But you will need to pre-charge it with calcium.  And you'll need to give it a little extra calcium more often. 

Also, highly recommend that any mix you make with coco that is meant to be used like soil - amend it with 20% compost and 30% perlite.  If you don't do that, then you will want to stick to liquid nutrients.

Coco coir doesn't compact like peat does, and it's re-useable for longer.  Good stuff, if you can get it cheap. If you live somewhere that produces it, chances are, you have easier access to coco, than peat.  Half of the world grows in coco as a growing medium, as opposed to peat, so you most certainly can use it.

:shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked: Wow I had no idea, thanks, it seems that I have to do a extensive research in the use of Coco coir and yes, where I live is something that is produced :) Thanks for the info, oh and could you share any link about Coco coir usage, if you don't mind?

Thanks again Solid7  :metal:

I don't really have much in the way of useful links - I do apologize.  Most of what I know about growing with coco, I learned about in general terms, and perfected through trial and error.

However, if you PM me, I'll share my method with you.  It's something that you can do where you are at...

DWB said:
Why not share your method here?

I probably will later.  But right now, I'm just trying to figure out what the OP has access to, without the topic getting convoluted to the point that it can't/doesn't want to be, followed.

There's a few glogs on THP where coco is used. I grow in pure coco and use liquid ferts. It's not for everyone, but works for me.

Neil

I want to thank you @The_NorthEast_ChileMan because I've learned a lot from those links plus other searches.

In short, if you are planning to use coco coir, you HAVE TO wash it thoroughly to get ride from the excess of Sodium and you MUST BUFFER IT with Calcium and Magnesium mostly because the coco coir is loaded with Potassium and what happens when you mix the coco coir without buffering is that it will take all the Calcium and Magnesium in the soil and LOCK IT away from the plant and in exchange it will proceed to release the Potassium which, in excess, could lead to several nutritional problems to the plant, mostly in Peppers that, as we all know, do LOVE the Calcium and Magnesium, here is a pic I found that represent what I've explained xD  (replaced with the video explanation of a pro xD)

https://youtu.be/Nmt9EpiFm1s?t=1m40s

Washing it depends on the quality you buy. If you get the cheap bricks from a hardware store then yes. Wash it. If you buy quality coco from a hydro store you're usually ok. Especially if you buy the loose bags.

Neil

Zonengorg said:
I want to thank you @The_NorthEast_ChileMan because I've learned a lot from those links plus other searches.

ELVIS-THANK-YOU.jpg

Back