• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can anybody ID this wild pepper plant?

I have a chance encounter with this plant that I believe is a type of pepper plant. I have zero clue on its origin. Not even sure if it is edible? Could be that its not even a pepper plant!

Below are the pictures I took using my phone. Any idea would be great.

wildfullplant.jpg

wildleave.jpg

wildflowerandleaf.jpg

wildflowerclose2.jpg

wildflowerclose.jpg

wildpodclose.jpg

I don't believe that is a Capsicum. I'm pretty sure another member got some seeds that were supposed to be Capsicum exile but the plant ended up being Black Nightshade.

mark its a night shade....it has small green fruits and they ripe to purple colour. i love eating them :) heheh u can get them in the wet market.

i was just in penang on wednesday. JAM at most places.!!

Don't eat... I recently got "Jerusalem Cherry" from a local supplier; called it "Cranberry Red Pepper". Similar blossoms and peduncles to that ^ nightshade.
I'm still growing that funky cherry, BTW... Just in case anyone has a need to throw up. ;)

Hey Mr. RedtailForrester - your seeds from NOVA are in the mail.. :)

Don't eat... I recently got "Jerusalem Cherry" from a local supplier; called it "Cranberry Red Pepper". Similar blossoms and peduncles to that ^ nightshade.
I'm still growing that funky cherry, BTW... Just in case anyone has a need to throw up. ;)

Thanks buddy!

mark its a night shade....it has small green fruits and they ripe to purple colour. i love eating them :) heheh u can get them in the wet market.

i was just in penang on wednesday. JAM at most places.!!

Hi Srin2,

Thanks for the info, hmm I thought Nightshade toxic? I actually dig up the plant and transplant them in a pot. I will look around at the wet market. If they sell them I guess this particular variety is safe. Oh I hope besides the jam you are able to have a good time in Penang :-) Keep in touch and take care.

Mark T

Hi Duane,

Thanks for the warning. I definitely won't eat them until I can get confirmation to what it is exactly.

Mark T

as for the Jerusalem Cherry the leave look a bit different and its fruit is start white and end with red. looks like cherry tomato's.The nurseries here sell them as a ornamental plant during chinese new year here. i got some during that time. it started to multiple very easily and my children started to play with the ripe fruits so i decided to destroy the plants.
2832731003_329fdf9f7f.jpg

look for "sayur tutan" in google images you will find that they are planting these plants for food. the word "tutan" used by sabahan

these vege is also used by the indian community
solanum_nigrum-buah.jpg

solanum_nigrum.jpeg

I would not eat it. many solanaceae share that appearance and most are highly poisonous. unless you can 100% be sure it is safe, stay away from it. definitely not a pepper.

I would not eat it. many solanaceae share that appearance and most are highly poisonous. unless you can 100% be sure it is safe, stay away from it. definitely not a pepper.
omri is right... if wanna eat it just buy it from the market. :)

Hi Srin,

I did some search, I think they are called Meranti or terung ranti. scientific name is Solanum americanum Miller
http://rencahhidupku.blogspot.com/2010/06/sayur-lemak-pucuk-meranti.html

They use the leaves as well in the cooking. Interesting..

Mark T

Back