• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Calcium deficient or over-nuted?

I've seen some other curled leaves and mine seem pretty mild in comparison. I've been very light on nutes for these guys, weak hydro nutes (2:2:1 masterblend:calcium nitrate:magnesium sulfate), about 1tsp per gallon, alternating water and nutrients.

Not sure if I should add a little bone meal to the soil on the next watering or just give them a couple of plain water flushes.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldnt do anything personally.

You start jacking with things and pouring who knows what in them to try to "fix" something and you will inevitably make it worse.

Let em dry out for a week or two and re-asses.

Jeff H said:
Store bought soil? Probably already has time release ferts in it if it is. No need to over feed them while they are so small.
I got some organic black gold mix and added additional perlite in a 5:1 ratio. Per the bag guaranteed analysis of the soil's NPK is 0.05-0.0-0.0 with the nitrogen from worm castings.

So it's definitely a very mild soil.

What is the pH of your water or feedings? If high you could be locking out vital nutrients. It is also a good idea to have the pH of the soil checked as well. If soil is alkaline you will be fighting a constant uphill battle.

resili626 said:
Hey dude, I have the same problem as you. Give me an update on the progress of that beautiful plant.
Before posting I had already flushed a bit. They look a little better. I think it may have also been a little too much water. I went out of town for 4 days and bottom watered them pretty heavily since I didn't have a baby-sitter so I think that might have overwhelmed them. Will continue to update the progress.

For now the plan is to let them dry out completely before re-watering and flush for a few more waterings.

Though for what it is worth my other smaller seedlings that HAVE NOT been given nutes have no signs of curling.

austin87 said:
Before posting I had already flushed a bit. They look a little better. I think it may have also been a little too much water. I went out of town for 4 days and bottom watered them pretty heavily since I didn't have a baby-sitter so I think that might have overwhelmed them. Will continue to update the progress.

For now the plan is to let them dry out completely before re-watering and flush for a few more waterings.

Though for what it is worth my other smaller seedlings that HAVE NOT been given nutes have no signs of curling.

If the smaller seedlings that has not been given nutrients have no signs of curling then perhaps the sign of curling is a symptom of over-fertilization? I have just recently transplanted most of my plants into a 14" x 14" polybag that's vermi/perlite 50-50 mix. Poured 2 scoops of fertilizer/trace elements to wet the medium lol.

Yes, let them dry out a lot but then no more flushing as that is just another way of saying overwatering. Give them minimal water from now on, until they seem to slightly droop in need of it, or if you have waited so long that you just can't help yourself but to give them a very little amount of water, then gauge how they respond to that and wait till they look like they need more.

+1 Dave2000

Pop one of the plants+soil out of the cup and observe how wet the soil is.  If it's anything more than 'damp' I'd _reduce_ the water, rather than trying to 'flush' the poor things.

Back