• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest C.I.T.D. - BEGIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.... been double-checking the threads.... saw Booma boast about some redneckin', but don't see no action to back it up. Get it on!

The Uncle Murray Tribute

He was all about enjoying the moment. So I made some chicken wings in the dutch. Fried up some crab cakes... his favorite. And made some bacon wrapped pineapple... then drank a Beck's in his honor, all while watching the Super Bowl.

Wings:
dusted liberally with a SoFlo proprietary blend of herbs and spices. They were tossed in a camp dutch oven with a stick of butter, some Marie Sharp's hot sauce [white label], some Louisiana hot sauce, and left to slow cook for three hours. I tended the coals with a Beck's in hand.

The wings were then flash fried for a couple seconds to crisp up the outsides and tossed in some more wing sauce consisting of Marie Sharp's and butter. It was a long process for wings, but these things were delish.

Crab cakes:
Smashed up some club crackers, diced up half a jalapeno, threw in a dollup of mayo, a little Worcestershire, an egg, and a small can of crab meat. Whirred and stirred then made into patties, covered with flour, and gently placed in 350 degree veg oil until golden brown.

Crab cake sauce was mayo, dijon mustard, deli mustard, and powdered cayenne.

Bacon wrapped pineapple:
Cubed pineapple wrapped with ~ 1/3 strip bacon, pinned with a toothpick, and placed in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 mins. Then pulled from the oven to dust with brown sugar and habanero powder. Then under the broiler for a couple minutes to caramelize.

Everything was enhanced with Beck's beer... a favorite of Uncle Murray's. [He was a POW in WW2 after being shot down in Poland. I think the Germans only fed him Beck's.]

Check the process in the previous page of this thread!

Banana leaf for your enjoyment.

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

Nice tribute there, Summer. Looks tasty, and crab cakes are some of my fav food.

DaQ - I'm heading to bed - you're taking too long! LOL - looks good so far!

Cast Iron Bounty Tribute
This meal comes with a story, which will also explain it's name. First off right now I do not have running water, or a working stove in my kitchen. How this is relevant I'll get to later. First I will explain the "bounty" part of it. This started about a week or so before christmas well in the basement do to a "water issue" I noticed something hung up in a dark corner, covered in cobwebs. Upon investigating I found it to be an old cast iron pan. The seasoning was old and flaked off if I brushed it with my hand. After I cleaned it up, and cleaned it well enough to see the brand symbol I found it was an old griswold. After further investigation I found it was made between 1930 and 1939. So it was a real find. For christmas I was given a handy "Tetsubin" IE a cast iron tea pot. Then 2 days after christmas on Dec 27th at the age of 88 my grandmother passed away. I got her cast iron pans. They are not just any pans, they were given to her as a wedding present. And she has used them near every day since. These are the 69 year old cast iron pans I now have. it was little more then a week later that I saw the post that we were doing a cast iron throw down. So yes I was determined that I WAS GOING TO BE IN THIS ONE, and that I would use her pans. The issue? No stove, no water. Makes it kinda hard to cook. The answer, I cooked the meal in HER kitchen. I chose chicken as the meat for reason alone, it was my grandfathers favorite. That way I could do them both tribute.

On a side note every piece of cast iron in my teasers. I did not have before late December. That should explain the bounty part well enough. NOW on the FOOD.

The chicken:
A ah chicken... what do you expect?

Chipotle HomeFries:
Chopped potatoes skin on.
Chipotle powdered
Black pepper.
Salt
Garlic chopped
Worcestershire sauce

Toasted Garlic Swiss Chard:
Green swiss chard
Garlic Chopped
Salt
Butter

The GLAZE:
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Fresh Lemon and Lime Zest
Cranberry Juice
Salt
Sugar
Candied Habaneros

Methods--

The chicken:
Cut the chicken into 10 peices (Tenders off breast)
Deep fried in Dutch oven
Once cooked the chicken was then placed into a CI pan where the glazed was boiling and ready. Let it cook that sweet wonder onto the chicken for a about two minutes.

The Potatoes:
Chopped into bite sized pieces.
Thrown into a f****ing hot large cast iron pan.
Put on all it's seasons.
Cook tills crispy soft, and a little charred. YUM

Swiss Chard:
Butter hot CI skillet
Toss in chopped garlic
Cook garlic on a high heat until it's chocolate brown.
Add chopped swiss chard.
Saute till done.

The GLAZE:
Add cranberry juice, sugar, salt, Lemon juice, Lime Juice to a small pot.
Simmer on a high heat till the texture is "sticky" and a little thick.
Add zest, let simmer a few more minutes for flavor.

Citrus Cranberry & Habenero Glazed chicken with Toasted garlic swiss chard, and chipotle homefries.

3aALgl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back