• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Building a greenhouse!

greenhouse003.jpg

White meow sitting in the corner there.

I want to know about your Jig- I have seen a few online / ebay for sale. What did you make the jig out of and whould you mind posting a photo of it. Again, this is a very nice build. Very Clean.

Thanks
Martin

Thank you! It was basically just 2 boards screwed to a piece of plywood that the pipe tightly fit between, and another board placed so I knew when to stop bending. I think I've seen the ones you're talking about though. Are they made for bending hoops? I was going to go that route, but the hoops wouldn't have given me enough roof pitch without being way taller than I wanted. I just kinked the pipes and then braced them.

Oh, and I just got REAL greenhouse film to cover it for my B-day! :dance: I was planning on using crappy regular plastic this year to see how it went. This stuff has a 4 year warranty. :woohoo:

Oh, and I just got REAL greenhouse film to cover it for my B-day! :dance: I was planning on using crappy regular plastic this year to see how it went. This stuff has a 4 year warranty. :woohoo:
Thats the way to go dude!

I used crappy stuff for my crappy greenhouse and its now started splitting after one winter. I only need it for a few more weeks to harden off the new transplants while the weather warms up so I've been using sticky tape to keep it together. Looks ridiculous :rofl:

Beautiful work, man. The U shaped beds and greenhouse are going to work out perfectly together!

I'm moving into a new house with a big yard next month so I am searching all over for ideas like this for inspiration.

Yesterday I was leaning towards the 10x12 from harbor freight but that thing is kinda ugly IMO. After seeing this, I now know I could build my own for far less :)

Couple Qs if you dont mind:

1) Nice bracing where you bent the poles... but what is it? Is that pre-made brace that you just screw right into the poles, or more creative metal bending on your part?

2) Also really like the construction of the raised beds, how you used nice smooth wood sides and top rail. are they just using 4x4s dug into the ground for verticals inside?

3) I'm assuming the 1x1 you added along the whole front top-bar is to make it easier to screw or staple your plastic cover material? Do I have the right idea?

4) You mentioned it's going to be easily taken down for winter... does my question 3 touch on that? any other little tricks you care to share that will make this easier?

Beautiful work, man. The U shaped beds and greenhouse are going to work out perfectly together!

I'm moving into a new house with a big yard next month so I am searching all over for ideas like this for inspiration.

Yesterday I was leaning towards the 10x12 from harbor freight but that thing is kinda ugly IMO. After seeing this, I now know I could build my own for far less :)

Couple Qs if you dont mind:

1) Nice bracing where you bent the poles... but what is it? Is that pre-made brace that you just screw right into the poles, or more creative metal bending on your part?

2) Also really like the construction of the raised beds, how you used nice smooth wood sides and top rail. are they just using 4x4s dug into the ground for verticals inside?

3) I'm assuming the 1x1 you added along the whole front top-bar is to make it easier to screw or staple your plastic cover material? Do I have the right idea?

4) You mentioned it's going to be easily taken down for winter... does my question 3 touch on that? any other little tricks you care to share that will make this easier?

Thanks Ictus!

1.It's electrical conduit. I flattened the ends about 1 inch on each side and bent the flattened tabs with a cresent wrench and screwed them into the poles.

2.Yep, 4x4's. I actually cemented them in but I don't think it's necessary.

3.Yep, it's to fasten the film, and they are 2x2's. I will screw 1x2 over it to pinch the film inbetween.

4."Wiggle Wire" is probably the best way to fasten the film, but I'm cheap.

This is all new to me so I'll have to see how it goes. I'd like to leave it up all winter, but I don't know.

Thanks,
Paul

This is a great set up!

I just came into a 20 ft x 10 ft x 12 foot metal frame building. I am looking to cover it and hoping it will serve me well.

awesome set up again!

Sweet setup! I have experience with a FlowerHouse collapsable greenhouse in northern Indiana. During early Spring, I keep the greenhouse sealed up. For extra protection, I used soil heating cables for the roots and a suspended heat lamp for the foliage when night time temperatures were hitting the upper 30's. During summer, I leave the screened doors open on both ends and cover the roof with shade cloth. Temperatures peaked at times around 125 degrees. However, I used EarthBox containers to keep a constant moisture supply and never saw any wilt. Actually, the plants loved the heat and moisture with breeze blowing through.

Your low profile will make it easier to heat overnight. Just the usual disclaimer about electricity and water not mixing.

My peppers can't be seen from this picture, as the cucumbers are blocking the view.
Planthouse_5_by_Flowerhouse.jpg

This is a great set up!

I just came into a 20 ft x 10 ft x 12 foot metal frame building. I am looking to cover it and hoping it will serve me well.

awesome set up again!

Thank you! And nice score!

Sweet setup! I have experience with a FlowerHouse collapsable greenhouse in northern Indiana. During early Spring, I keep the greenhouse sealed up. For extra protection, I used soil heating cables for the roots and a suspended heat lamp for the foliage when night time temperatures were hitting the upper 30's. During summer, I leave the screened doors open on both ends and cover the roof with shade cloth. Temperatures peaked at times around 125 degrees. However, I used EarthBox containers to keep a constant moisture supply and never saw any wilt. Actually, the plants loved the heat and moisture with breeze blowing through.

Your low profile will make it easier to heat overnight. Just the usual disclaimer about electricity and water not mixing.

My peppers can't be seen from this picture, as the cucumbers are blocking the view.
Planthouse_5_by_Flowerhouse.jpg

Thank you, and :welcome: to THP!
I like the heating ideas and the shade cloth. I'm really hoping I can get my plants in the dirt earlier next year.

Back