• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse build a greenhouse

How to Heat a Greenhouse / Canada
How to build My 50 Dollar Greenhouse http://doorgarden.co...use-green-house
Greenhouse (with HPS) vs Fluorescent Grow Room Experiment http://thehotpepper....oom-experiment/
I'm not sure this would work when it drops below -20 :S
Well where I live the overnight temps can reach -29C (rare but can happen) and daytime high can be -10 during the winter. In the winter it rarely dipped below 0 in my old cold frame Tomatoes would likely survive but super hot peppers probably would not....Anyway I have a heat source and a storage area being built onto the greenhouse so I can enter without letting cold air in or warm air out. In Canada we have a shorter growing season so if we had to restart we would probably be growing indoors all year. Either way Sunshine will pay for some electricity for light and heat and either build or buy some things for his setup the difference is the greenhouse will get some light/heat from the sun so you would not need to heat or light your grow area for a few hours and when spring comes you can stop using the lights sooner. If Sunshine has a large yard or permission to use his parents yard he could more than double the number of plants he plans to grow and maybe sell some. Sunshine needs to decide how much time/money he can spend and is it worth it for just him (Electricity supplies watering bulbs) he could build a cold frame from old windows and add two or three CFL bulbs for under $75 can.
I'm planning on growing 5 to 7 plants .... would you go with a big cold frame or build a greenhouse? oh and I have a budjet of around 150$ for this project haha :P

Cold Frame made from old windows screwed together caulking and 2 CFL Bulbs....On sunny days the temperature will rise quickly look for a wireless thermometer make two rooms a small entrance so you don't let all the heat out and your growing space.

Even with a woodstove, I only use my greenhouse from April to May and then again in Oct. Even if you you could keep it heated , there is likely not enough sun in the winter to justify the fuel costs. Probably best to start plant indoors around January and move them into the greenhouse around April.

Even with a woodstove, I only use my greenhouse from April to May and then again in Oct. Even if you you could keep it heated , there is likely not enough sun in the winter to justify the fuel costs. Probably best to start plant indoors around January and move them into the greenhouse around April.

I'm talking about a 4 x 6 space....with CFL bulbs 100 watt+

You still won't get much sun in the winter and you'll be using lots of energy. If you're just trying to keep plants alive without poding, it may work but it still seems to me like a waste of resources.

You still won't get much sun in the winter and you'll be using lots of energy. If you're just trying to keep plants alive without poding, it may work but it still seems to me like a waste of resources.
yeah ... I think I'll just keep on overwinter them inside and bring them back outside after the last frost

when I overwinter my plants, after cutting them back, I wash them in soapy water. so there's no bugs :P and I put them next to a window ... so far it worked haha.

Hey everyone... as we are approaching greenhouse season.. i was hoping to chime in.
We are currently updating our hotpepper blog on this very subject..... http://thehotpepper.com/blog/56/entry-279-the-alpha-hydroponics-greenhouse-pt-1-the-build/

Looking forward to hearing and sharing more...

Without a doubt, any greenhouse, cold frame, sunny window, will extend your season and garden area.
Adding even just 2-4 weeks a year to a season, where otherwise you might not, is worth the time invested.

In our case, we are able to overlap seasons, essentially gaining a "fifth season"

Regards, Chris

sorry for the hijack... but does anyone have the lowdown on greenhouse film?

im looking to keep some plants productive over the winter and id like to keep them from sub 55-60 temps... id like the optically clearest film possible... its my understanding that greenhouse film is uv protected and durable and such, but planning on trashing this thing by march, so durability or uv resistance is a non issue.

anyway, does anyone know of a supplier of cheap non uv protected polyethylene that's also highly transparent? im really not interested in anything milky.

Probably a cheaper option for solar-based heating is just do it directly with some black piping filled with water. The sun will heat the water, and since water is a good insulator, it should be able to hold on to the heat pretty well into the night. I've never tried this, and you'd have to look into it more, but this is how many people heat their pools, and a few quick google searches indicate people have tried doing similarly for greenhouses as well.

I imagine it would work pretty well, and definitely be less complicated and less expensive than solar panels. You could even run the piping through the soil to get the heat directly into the soil to make it more efficient. I'm not exactly sure how you get the water to move. I think you can set it up so the heat of the water would cause it to move through the system without requiring power, but again... I haven't tried, and you'd need to look into it.

just said f-it... and bought some "greenhouse" 3mil film. well see how clear it really is. the hardware stuff is too opaque.
im going to build something super ghetto out of 2x2's and gusset plates. we shall see what the HOA thinks about this.

Back