• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Bug sprays

Hi guys i would like some help with whats a good remedy to get rid of bugs i think its called thrips i found some on one lot of plants i have and i lost a lot of pods with brown spot thats gone soft and i found like little worms in side i've been told it would be these little pest ( Thrips ) well thats what im to believe unless you guys can help me with what it could be whats pissed me off the pods on my plant were huge ..any tips people i need all the help i can get

You blooody legend! I have the same thing happening in some of my larger pods too. Especially the Trinidad's.

I am after a solution too. I was going to give them a spray with neem this afternoon however it was suppost to rain, which it is. WHat really sucks is that you don't know when the pods were raped by these little fu#$ers.
I had a maggot do cartwheels the other day out of a Douglah pod. It sucks the perverbial ass.

I like to rotate betwenn pyrethrum sprays, soap sprays, and my mixture of chiles and garlic. You could also look into predator insects, although at the moment I'm not sure what eats thrips

I had several different bugs .. dont know which ones.. but my favorite (best working and safe) remedy was simply dish soap and water! The recipe I found and used was 1 tbls dish soap (regular dawn soap/ palolive whatever) to 1 water bottle . Stick a *clean* spray nozzel in and spray...
I kinda sprayed it while running my hands through it to make sure it touched every leaf and poured some on the dirt. Make sure to not go on "overkill" .. just make sure all spots are covered then do damage control again the following day. ..
This is the same as the soap solutions you can purchase.. I bought a couple but they didnt work as well as soap and water...

They said the reason is that the soap will dry out the bodies of the bugs and eggs and kill em!

After you know its free I would also suggest repotting with new soil (not absolutely neccessary .. but if you want to be OCD about it .. like me..)

Hope this helps! xo

when i started garding in hawaii i had every kind of bug in my yard you could name.i put down neem fertilizer and sprayed everytwo weeks.bugs started leaving,that was 6 years ago.pretty bug free now, still use both but spray every three weeks= no bugs Good Luck

I personally wouldn't use neem outside since it will kill predators and beneficial insects as well as "pests". I never seem to have bug issues outdoors, the ladybugs just take over

I have two, one that i've tried and one I just read about. The first is simply soap and water. Three of the plants from last season that I brought inside were infested with what I determined were some type of spider mite (tiny red egg larvae all over the leaves) We actually gently rinsed the plant with a soapy water solution, even a bit in the soil, and then continued to maintain the treatment with an organic soap spray. The plants are all thriving indoors and are insect free.
The second is one I just read about today in GROW THE BEST PEPPERS, by Weldon Burge. It is from 1995, but it was something I wanted to read and was informative on some basic things I might overlook. Anyway It suggests that most Insects that attacks pepper plants can be "controlled using organic insecticides like Bt (Thuricide.)

As long as the soap has no added fragrance, and is not antibacterial then it should be fine. Its the fatty acids in the soap that clog the pores of the pests

Ivory dish soap all the others are detergent. 1 teasoon to the Quart of warm water. if you use a pump two tablespoons of soap to 2 tablespoons of neem add warm water. will not hurt good bugs, there a lot information on the web.

Back