• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brain Strain vs Butch T

I would love to try the Brain Strain... definately on my hot list. But I did do a taste test not long ago on the Douglah, Moruga and ButchT back to back. Stuffed up my tongue for about two days, but it was interesting to compare them one after the other. I found the ButchT was the hottest by far - but came last in the flavour department (imo). The Douglah was a close second in heat - but got first place in flavour... (imo) and I was not at all impressed with the Moruga. It was tastier than the ButchT but from what everyone was ranting and raving about... it should have been hotter than all of them - and it wasn't (imo). I think effects of pods can vary and are influenced by many factors. At the end of the day, the pod you eat will have about 5 different capsaicinoid in it (dihydrocapsaicin, nordihydrocapsaicin, homodihydrocapsaicin, homocapsaicin and nonivamide). The mix of those four capsaicinoid in that pod on that given day will determine the outcome (I imagine these levels of capsaicinoids fluctuate on a daily, hourly basis). The ButchT I ate that day, felt like a scorpion was stinging me under the tongue and made my ear drums vibrate involentarily. I have never had that kind of pain again, but I am sure that was as a result of one of those capsaicinoids having been dominant... It would be interesting to find out what the physical side effects of each capsaicinoid is...

I often wonder about growing conditions/environment too. Although I have yet to grow and try some big names like the Brain Strain, TS Moruga, Douglah, etc, my Choc Bhuts have so far been the hottest I have had yet--definitely hotter than reg Red Bhuts and even what feels like that bit hotter than my TS ButchT's! (But don't get me wrong though.... my ButchT's still do absolutely wreck me too!). Both I source from the same place.... THSC.

My sun here can be extremely intense and I wonder if perhaps, being a darker colour, the Choc Bhut sucks it up more as it is ripening and boosts the heat somehow? Interesting though is my Choc Bhuts are light/bright green when immature so any sun boosting power (if it exists) could only happen in a matter days while the pod is ripening.

Any thoughts?

(Or maybe I am just imagining things.... :lol:)
The sun is really intense here in Mississippi too, but as far as helping make the pods hotter, if a pod is on the edge or not being covered by the leaf canopy it will be sunburned and made useless, I think that is why most of the super hots have such large leaves, to protect the pods from the sun. :fireball:

The sun is really intense here in Mississippi too, but as far as helping make the pods hotter, if a pod is on the edge or not being covered by the leaf canopy it will be sunburned and made useless, I think that is why most of the super hots have such large leaves, to protect the pods from the sun. :fireball:

Aye, I've had that happen too. It still might support my theory though, as my darker pods seem to be the most regularly affected??

Or maybe I just need to get my ButchT seeds straight from the source...... *eh? eh?* *hint, hint* :D (J/K.... or am I??) :lol:

Truth be told, the difference between my Choc Bhuts and ButchT's does feel like only a very small one. When dealing with ridiculous heat levels like that of the two, I guess it is hard to tell though. Like I said, I could just be imagining things too......

Back