Black Super Hots?

jedisushi06 said:
These hurt so bad.  Flavor is the best for any chocolate super hot iv'e tasted over the years.  Plants are very productive and grow well.

Intriguing verbiage. SOLD!

jedisushi06 said:
Sorry for the sideways pictures.  It does that every time i load from my iphone.

Mine as well. I have to take everything landscape which kinda sucks for peppers which grow more vertical in many cases. I did a little research on what causes it and you would think the newest phones would have solved the issue.

Have you grown it? Because in pics colors are always more saturated to make them pop = more black.

Some great ideas here.  I go thew this every October.  I always have something orange but never something black.  Tried black hab this year, but they didnt turn out. 

The Hot Pepper said:
We're talking non-sueprhots now? Pasilla bajio

I couldnt come up with anything super hot this growing season, so tried black hab.  Failed.  Maybe the universe doesnt want me to have Halloween peppers.  Probably break down and grow the actual Halloween Pepper (Numex) next year.

AJ Drew said:

I couldnt come up with anything super hot this growing season, so tried black hab.  Failed.  Maybe the universe doesnt want me to have Halloween peppers.  Probably break down and grow the actual Halloween Pepper (Numex) next year.

I have a device in my grow box that will aid in turning any pepper into a black one if this helps any. I think it used to go by the name El-marko.

CAPCOM said:

I have a device in my grow box that will aid in turning any pepper into a black one if this helps any. I think it used to go by the name El-marko.

99% sure I am being screwed with, but had a baby sitter who could change the color of flowers so I will bite.W

What?

AJ Drew said:

99% sure I am being screwed with, but had a baby sitter who could change the color of flowers so I will bite.W

What?

20171008_121643.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp1fZI-ubus

Pasilla bajio = chilaca

In Méjico, chilaca is the fresh chile

Pasilla is a dried chilaca

The Bajio is in west-central Méjico

Pasilla bajio is a name made up by the chile seller

In the Bajío, pasilla looks like this   

pasilla by Willard Bridgham, on Flickr

Ok, so has anyone seen a fresh chilaca that was actually black? My experience with them fresh is that they always become a very dark green/evergreen… especially in bright light (not black). I have purchased them at the local Mexican grocer several times and they are very dark green every time. Even when letting them ripen/air dry whole over several weeks, they don’t turn black in the true sense. I’m wondering if they only ripen/turn black on the plant perhaps… either way, they are absolutely delicious fresh and roasted with such a unique and delicious flavor!

What about ‘Chilhuacle Negro’? Most pictures have them as black, others just describe them as a very dark ‘chocolate brown’. I’ve yet to grow them or have any experience with them fresh or dried, so I can’t say. Their name implying black (as does the chilaca / ‘chile negro’ as well) and them being traditionally used in Oaxacan mole negro (black mole), I think they might be the closest to black, if not actually black.

If only many of those who start off or ripen through a black phase would just stay that way instead of ultimately ripening red, that would be great!

This topic intrigues me as well! 

Back